Did you recently suffer a spinal cord injury in an accident in Boca Raton, FL? Call our offices at 561-347-7770 to get help from a Boca Raton spinal cord injury lawyer at Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers and arrange a time to talk about your legal rights.
Since we were founded nearly three decades ago, our legal team has been committed to getting what’s fair for accident victims across South Florida. Our hard work has paid off. We’ve already recovered millions for our clients over the years.
You may be entitled to compensation for medical costs, lost wages, and more. To learn more about how we’ll use our experience to your advantage, contact our Boca Raton personal injury office near you to schedule a free consultation today.
Table of Contents
How Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers Can Help After Suffering a Spinal Cord Injury in Boca Raton, FL
Spinal cord injuries have the potential to be catastrophic. The spine controls much of your bodily function. Both your mobility and organ function depend on a healthy spine. Any type of injury can lead to lifelong challenges.
If someone else caused your accident, you deserve to hold them accountable. However, don’t expect the insurance company to be sympathetic. Their overall goal will be to reduce your compensation award by any means necessary. Hiring an experienced Boca Raton personal injury lawyer can make a huge difference in the amount of money you take home.
At Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers we’re passionate about getting justice for our injured clients.
To maximize your compensation award, our lawyers will:
- Gather the evidence needed to back your injury claim
- Identify all parties who share responsibility for the accident
- Hire experts and specialists to ensure your claim is properly valued
- Minimize your role in the accident if the responsible party tries to blame you for getting hurt
Our Boca Raton injury attorneys have more than 28 years of experience–and we know how to handle all negotiations with the insurance company. If you were hurt in Boca Raton, Florida, don’t hesitate to reach out for a free consultation today.
How Common Are Spinal Cord Injuries?
According to the National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center (NSCISC), approximately 294,000 Americans are currently living with spinal cord injuries. Motor vehicle accidents are the most common cause of spinal cord injuries–followed by falls.
Unfortunately, about 30% of all spinal cord injury victims are re-hospitalized at least once in the year following the injury. The length of the average hospital stay has declined, however, to about 11 days. On the flip side, only about 18% of spinal cord injury victims are employed one year after the accident. That rate increases to 32% at year-40 post-injury.
Overview of Spinal Cord Injuries
The spinal cord is about 18-inches long. It runs from the base of the neck to the tailbone. The spinal cord includes the nerves that send signals throughout the body. Those nerves are surrounded by rings of bone called vertebrae. Any type of damage to the spinal cord can result in some loss of function.
When your spinal cord is injured, everything beneath the injury can be impacted. The severity of a spinal cord injury, therefore, depends upon where the cord was damaged.
Types of Spinal Cord Injury
Spinal cord injuries are classified as either complete or incomplete. Some victims completely lose all feeling and ability to move the area below the damaged area. Others experience incomplete loss of feeling, meaning that they retain some feeling or sensation.
The spinal cord is divided into four sections, including:
- Cervical spine (C1-C7)
- Thoracic spine (T1-T12)
- Lumbar spine (L1-L5)
- Sacral spine (S1-S5)
Cervical spinal cord injuries are among the most severe possible because the cervical spine stretches through the neck. Injury to the cervical spine can result in tetraplegia (quadriplegia)–or complete paralysis from the neck down.
Thoracic spinal cord injuries have the potential to result in paraplegia, or paralysis in the legs and torso, as well as other problems.
The lumbar spine is located in the lower back. The vertebrae in the lumbar spine are larger and stronger–so these injuries tend to be less extreme. However, victims often experience loss of feeling in the legs and hips, as well as loss of bladder and bowel control.
The sacral spine is a collection of vertebrae fused together into a triangle shape at the bottom of the spine. Sacral spine injuries are relatively rare, but can cause loss of bladder and bowel control, as well as loss of sexual function.
What are the Signs and Symptoms of Spinal Cord Injuries?
Spinal cord injuries aren’t always immediately obvious.
Some of the signs that you have injured the spinal cord and should seek emergency treatment include:
- Extreme pain or pressure in the head, back, or neck
- Weakness or paralysis in any body part
- Numbness, tingling, or loss of sensation in the hands or feet
- Loss of control over the bladder or bowel
- Difficulties with walking or balance
- Difficulty breathing
- A twisted or oddly positioned neck or back
You should always see a doctor as soon as possible after an accident. Any type of trauma can cause a spinal cord injury–and the severity of any long-term consequences can be minimized if you get medical help right away.
What are the Long-Term Consequences of Spinal Cord Injuries?
The long-term consequences of a spinal cord injury depend upon two key factors:
- Where the injury took place (the part of the spinal cord that was damaged)
- The severity of the damage
Complete paralysis from either the waist down (paraplegia) or the neck down (quadriplegia) are among the most serious consequences of a spinal cord injury.
Some additional long-term consequences of a spinal cord injury may include:
- Loss of bladder or bowel function
- Altered sensation, including the inability to feel heat or touch
- Spasms or exaggerated reflexes
- Respiratory problems, including difficulty breathing or clearing the lungs
- Changes in sexual function
- Loss of fertility
- Pain or stinging caused by nerve damage around the spinal cord
- Loss of strength in the arms and legs
Even if you retain the ability to move your arms and legs, a spinal cord injury can create serious complications in your life. Don’t let the responsible party off the hook for damages. Call Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers for a free case evaluation today.
What Causes Spinal Cord Injuries?
Any type of traumatic accident can cause a spinal cord injury.
Some of the most common causes of spinal cord injuries include:
- Car accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Truck accidents
- Bus accidents
- Uber or Lyft accidents
- Boating accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Construction accidents
- Workplace accidents
- Sports and recreation accidents
- Dog bites
- Defective products
- Medical malpractice
- Assault and acts of violence
If you were seriously hurt in an accident, it’s important to make speaking with an experienced lawyer a priority. At Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers we’ll fight to get the full and fair compensation you deserve.
What is My Boca Raton Spinal Cord Injury Case Worth?
The cost of treating a spinal cord injury varies widely from person to person. You’re entitled to compensation for all expenses.
Some of the key factors that can influence the value of your spinal cord injury case include:
- The severity of the injury (where the cord was damaged)
- Your overall prognosis and whether the injury caused permanent damage
- The types of treatment and therapy you’ll need
- Whether you’re able to work or return to work
- How the injury changed your life
At Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers, we invest the resources into your case to maximize your overall compensation award.
What Compensation Can I Recover for My Spinal Cord Injury in Boca Raton, Florida?
Personal injury laws in Florida give accident victims the right to be reimbursed for their costs. You also have the right to compensation for things money can’t buy, like your emotional well being and ability to enjoy the things you did prior to the accident.
In other words, both economic and non-economic damages are available.
Those include compensation for things like:
- Past and future medical bills
- Lost wages
- Loss of future earning potential and job opportunities
- Medical devices
- Modifications to your home and vehicle
- Physical therapy and rehab
- Long-term care
- In-home assistance
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress, anxiety, depression, and PTSD
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of independence
Our spinal cord injury attorneys can also help you recover damages for wrongful death if the injuries were fatal and you lost a close family member.
How Long Do I Have to File a Spinal Cord Injury Lawsuit in Florida?
In Florida, you have four years to file a personal injury lawsuit. You only have two years to file a medical malpractice lawsuit if you were hurt because of a doctor’s negligence.
Contact a Boca Raton Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer for a Free Consultation
A serious spinal cord injury can change your life forever. If you or a loved one were hurt, call an experienced Boca Raton spinal cord injury lawyer for help holding the responsible party liable. At Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers we offer free consultations–so don’t hesitate to give us a call to learn more.
We can also help if your injury occured in Deerfield Beach, Boynton Beach, West Palm Beach or elsewhere in South Florida.
Our personal injury law firm in Boca Raton, FL also provides:
- Bicycle Accident Lawyer in Boca Raton, FL
- Boating Accident Attorneys in Boca Raton, FL
- Brain Injury Lawyers in Boca Raton, FL
- Car Accident Attorneys in Boca Raton, FL
- Catastrophic Injuries Lawyers in Boca Raton, FL
- Child Injury Attorneys in Boca Raton, FL
- Construction Accident Lawyer in Boca Raton, FL
- Dog Bites Attorney in Boca Raton, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in Boca Raton, FL
- Medical Malpractice Attorneys in Boca Raton, FL
- Nursing Home Abuse Attorney in Boca Raton, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in Boca Raton, FL
- Product Liability Lawyers in Boca Raton, FL
- Slip and Fall Attorneys in Boca Raton, FL
- Truck Accident Lawyers in Boca Raton, FL
- Uber Accident Lawyer in Boca Raton, FL
- Workplace Accident Attorneys in Boca Raton, FL
- Wrongful Death Lawyers in Boca Raton, FL