Finding out that a nursing home betrayed your trust and abused a loved one can be devastating. A skilled Boca Raton nursing home abuse lawyer at Hollander Law Firm Personal Injury Lawyers can fight to obtain the financial compensation your family deserves.
Our lawyers will do everything possible to help your family during this difficult time. Contact our law offices in Boca Raton, Florida by calling (561) 347-7770 to schedule a free consultation today.
Table of Contents
How Can a Boca Raton Personal Injury Lawyer Help if My Loved One Was a Victim of Nursing Home Abuse?
Dealing with situations involving nursing home abuse in the family can be extremely challenging. The anger and frustration you feel can be overwhelming. It’s important to have someone on your side who can see the big picture.
You want to hold the nursing home and its staff accountable to the fullest extent of the law. A criminal conviction can go a long way toward getting justice for your family. You also have the right to hold the responsible parties financially accountable. After all, nursing home abuse can change your loved one’s life forever. Hiring an experienced personal injury lawyer in Boca Raton is the best way to get the justice your family deserves.
At Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers, our attorneys have been standing up for victims of nursing home abuse for over 25 years. We’re here to give your family a voice. We won’t hesitate to stand up to nursing homes that stood by and allowed your loved one to be abused.
When you trust us to protect your rights, we’ll handle every aspect of your case. In every case, you can rest assured that we will:
- Provide the personal support and knowledgeable legal advice that your family needs during this difficult time
- Hire respected investigators who will leave no stone unturned to find out who can be held liable for the abuse
- Find the proof necessary to support your claim
- Work with leading experts to get a full understanding of the value of your loved one’s suffering
- Handle the insurance paperwork and court filings
- Advocate to get the highest compensation award possible to hold the nursing home fully accountable
Don’t let large corporations and deep-pocketed insurance companies off the hook for your loved one’s suffering. All you have to do is call our senior justice law firm to schedule a free consultation. We’ll take the lead from there–so that you can focus on your loved one’s health and wellbeing.
Types of Nursing Home Abuse
Nursing home abuse and neglect have reached epidemic levels in the U.S. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), one in six people aged 60 or older experienced some form of abuse in a community setting.
Approximately 5 million elders are abused every year.
The most common types of nursing home abuse include:
- Psychological abuse
- Financial exploitation
- Sexual abuse
- Physical abuse
Any type of nursing home abuse can be devastating. In some cases, victims may even be subject to multiple forms of abuse.
Emotional or psychological abuse can be perpetrated by using threats, intimidating, or even purposefully isolating the victim from the community. Bullying, threatening, or humiliating a nursing home resident can be just as devastating as physical abuse.
Seniors and individuals with disabilities are also financially vulnerable to predators. Examples of financial abuse include:
- Stealing checks or credit cards
- Convincing a nursing home resident to change a will or beneficiary designation
- Forging a resident’s signature
- Opening credit cards in a resident’s name
If your loved one has been a victim of financial abuse, your family may be entitled to restitution for those losses.
Any type of nonconsensual sexual touching or contact is sexual abuse. Unfortunately, sexual abuse in nursing homes is relatively common–and the impact on your family can cause serious trauma.
Nursing Home Negligence
Most nursing home residents need help just going about their daily activities. Nursing home neglect can be either active or passive. Busy nursing home staff members might simply not have the resources to help your loved one–and the facility itself can be held responsible.
Active neglect is a form of abuse where a caregiver purposefully ignores your loved one’s needs. Failure to provide food, water, and needed medications are all types of nursing home neglect.
Physical abuse is the intentional infliction of physical harm on a nursing home resident. Hitting, kicking, and slapping are all examples of physical abuse. In an assisted living facility, physical abuse can also include the improper use of physical restraints.
Who Are the Most Likely Victims of Nursing Home Abuse in Boca Raton, Florida?
Studies show that certain risk factors make it more likely that a nursing home resident will be abused. Those at greatest risk include:
- Residents who suffer from mental conditions, including dementia and Alzheimer’s disease
- Women with disabilities
Because elder abuse is widely underreported, it can be hard to know right away if your loved one is a victim. If you think your loved one is suffering at the hands of a trusted caregiver, don’t hesitate to get our lawyers involved. We can help you locate the resources you need to stop the abuse while we investigate to find out what happened.
Identifying the Common Causes of Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
Nursing home abuse and neglect can come in many forms. Examples of nursing home abuse include:
- Failing to implement procedures to properly screen caregiver qualifications
- Failing to supervise employees
- Failure to maintain sanitary conditions and working medical equipment
- Ignoring complaints from patients and visitors
- Failure to transfer a resident to a hospital if medical attention is needed
- Failure to provide proper medications and health care
- Withholding food or water
- Improperly supervising residents who suffer from mental conditions or cognitive decline
- Negligent security
Remember, the assisted living facility is ultimately responsible for the acts of its employees. That includes both intentional abuse and general negligence in providing required care.
Nursing Home Abuse Can Cause Severe Physical and Mental Harm
Nursing home abuse causes significant physical and mental injuries, including:
- Broken bones
- Bed sores
- Medical conditions caused by malnutrition or dehydration
- Wrongful death of a loved one
Our lawyers at Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers are passionate about getting compensation for all of those injuries
Who Can Be Held Responsible For Damages?
Anyone who was responsible for conditions in the nursing home can be held responsible for damages. Examples of responsible parties may include:
- The nursing home
- A corporation that owns the nursing home
- Caregivers within the facility
- Administrative staff
- Doctors or nurses who provided care within the facility
Florida shared responsibility rules allow you to hold every responsible party accountable for their share of the damages. Our personal injury attorneys at Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers are here to put in the work needed to identify everyone whose actions or omissions caused your loved one to suffer.
What Should I Do If I Suspect Nursing Home Abuse?
The most important thing you can do is get your loved one out of the abusive situation. You can report abuse to the Florida Department of Elder Affairs or the Florida Agency for Health Care Administration.
You can also call the police to report the abuse. It can be helpful to document the situation in any way you can. Take photos of any injuries or conditions in the nursing home. Try to obtain contact information from other residents and employees who had contact with your loved one.
Once your loved one is safe, you should call a personal injury attorney. Our experienced lawyers at Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers can help you navigate the legal system and hold the responsible parties financially accountable.
Is There a Deadline For Filing a Nursing Home Abuse Lawsuit?
Generally, the statute of limitations in Florida gives victims of nursing home abuse two years to file a personal injury lawsuit. Surviving family members who lost loved ones to nursing home abuse have two years to file a lawsuit based on wrongful death.
What Damages Are Available in a Nursing Home Abuse Lawsuit?
Boca Raton nursing home abuse victims may be entitled to significant compensation. Depending on the situation, your settlement or verdict may include:
- The cost of medical care
- Psychological counseling
- Transportation to a new assisted living facility
- Future medical bills
- Lost wages while you care for your loved one
- Physical therapy
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Diminished quality of life
- Restitution and compensation for property damage in cases of financial abuse
- Damages for wrongful death
Our lawyers in Boca Raton will fight to get every dollar you deserve. All you have to do is call to get started.
Get Help From a Trusted Boca Raton Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer Today
Learning about nursing home abuse can be shocking. An experienced Boca Raton nursing home abuse lawyer at Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers can help you navigate the challenges you’re facing.
We always offer a free consultation so that you can get the help you need. If you’re ready to learn more, call our offices or use our online contact form today. We represent clients in Boca Raton, FL, West Palm Beach, and across Palm Beach County.
Boca Raton Nursing Home Abuse Review
Boca Raton Physical Therapists
- Boca Raton Physical Therapy Center – 7200 W Camino Real #100, Boca Raton, FL 33433
- Actify Physiotherapy & Wellness – 7000 W Palmetto Park Rd Suite 305, Boca Raton, FL 33433
- Pelvicore Rehab LLC – 7284 W Palmetto Park Rd Suite 105, Boca Raton, FL 33433
- JNP Physical Therapy – 7960 La Mirada Dr, Boca Raton, FL 33433
*Disclaimer – we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed on our website.
Our personal injury law firm in Boca Raton, FL also provides:
- Bicycle Accident Lawyer in Boca Raton, FL
- Boating Accident Attorneys in Boca Raton, FL
- Brain Injury Lawyers in Boca Raton, FL
- Car Accident Attorneys in Boca Raton, FL
- Catastrophic Injuries Lawyers in Boca Raton, FL
- Child Injury Attorneys in Boca Raton, FL
- Construction Accident Lawyer in Boca Raton, FL
- Dog Bites Attorney in Boca Raton, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in Boca Raton, FL
- Medical Malpractice Attorneys in Boca Raton, FL
- Nursing Home Abuse Attorney in Boca Raton, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in Boca Raton, FL
- Product Liability Lawyers in Boca Raton, FL
- Slip and Fall Attorneys in Boca Raton, FL
- Truck Accident Lawyers in Boca Raton, FL
- Uber Accident Lawyer in Boca Raton, FL
- Workplace Accident Attorneys in Boca Raton, FL
- Wrongful Death Lawyers in Boca Raton, FL