Were you or a loved one injured because a doctor or healthcare provider made a mistake? You may be entitled to compensation for your losses. Call a skilled West Palm Beach medical malpractice lawyer from Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers. at 561-556-7873, or contact our law office online to schedule a free case valuation for your case today.
We can fight to get the full and fair compensation you deserve. As always, your initial consultation is completely free of charge.
Table of Contents
How Can an Experienced West Palm Beach Personal Injury Lawyer Help With My Medical Malpractice Claim?
Most of us have little to no medical training. We have no choice but to place our trust in doctors, nurses and other medical providers when we need help. However, doctors are only human–and they make mistakes.
Sometimes those mistakes can lead the patient to suffer catastrophic injuries or even wrongful death. When medical negligence changes your life forever, you have the legal right to full compensation. That compensation should both cover your losses and hold the negligent party responsible.
Unfortunately, it isn’t always easy to get money into your hands. Florida medical malpractice laws are geared toward protecting doctors and hospitals from frivolous lawsuits. Most ordinary people simply don’t have the knowledge or resources to fight back against deep-pocketed hospitals and insurance companies.
That’s where an experienced personal injury lawyer in West Palm Beach can help.
At Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers, we will:
- Investigate the circumstances surrounding the doctor’s mistake
- Identify every responsible party and source of insurance compensation available in your case
- Hire medical experts to provide the required support for your Florida medical malpractice claim
- Work with specialists who can help anticipate your future needs
- Demand the full compensation you deserve from the insurance companies
- Fight back when the insurance company tries to scare you into taking less money than you deserve
- Use our proven trial skills to fight for maximum compensation in court if necessary
You only have one chance to get the full compensation you need. Our lawyers will put the full weight of our resources into your case. With more than 28 years of legal experience in your corner, you greatly increase your chances of recovering the most money possible for your losses.
Call our West Palm Beach medical malpractice attorneys today to discuss your medical malpractice claim. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by getting skilled legal advice.
Understanding Florida Medical Malpractice Law
In Florida, all doctors, nurses and health care providers owe a duty of care to their patients. These professionals take an oath to uphold this duty in order to protect patients from unreasonable risks.
You might think it’ll be easy to recover compensation if a doctor makes a mistake. That’s not always the case. Even the most highly trained doctors and surgeons make mistakes.
To rise to the level of medical negligence, you must be able to prove that:
- The health care provider owed you a duty of care, such as a doctor-patient relationship
- The doctor somehow breached that duty of care by making a mistake
- You were injured in some way
- The breach, or mistake, directly caused your injury
Building a successful medical malpractice lawsuit can be a challenge. That’s why you need a skilled medical malpractice attorney by your side. Our lawyers have nearly three decades of experience successfully handling medical malpractice claims. We’ll do everything we can to get the fair compensation you deserve.
What is the Standard of Care For Medical Providers?
The medical standard of care is what a reasonable, trained medical professional would have done under the circumstances. The key to a successful medical malpractice claim is proving that your medical provider deviated from the medical standard of care.
Helpful evidence in establishing this standard includes:
- Generally accepted medical practices in the medical community
- Expert testimony from a doctor or health care professional
If the doctor deviated from this standard of care, that’s grounds for a malpractice lawsuit. Florida law requires testimony from a qualified expert in order to proceed with a medical malpractice claim. To testify about the professional standard of care, the expert must be a licensed professional who has comprehensively reviewed your medical records.
Our lawyers at Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers have over 28 years of experience helping injured patients get justice. We’ll use our contacts in the industry to secure the expert testimony you need. To get started, all you have to do is call our law firm for a free case review.
What Are Some Common Types of Medical Malpractice Claims?
A medical malpractice claim can be based on any type of action that causes a patient to get hurt. The range of possibilities is extremely broad. Some of the most common types of medical malpractice cases involve:
- Failure to diagnose an illness or condition,
- Delayed diagnosis,
- Hospital-acquired infection,
- Surgical errors,
- Anesthesia errors,
- Emergency room errors,
- Defective medical devices,
- Medication errors,
- Chemotherapy malpractice,
- Brain injuries,
- Failure to obtain informed patient consent,
- Birth injury,
- Nursing home abuse.
Our legal team is standing by to help you fight to hold negligent medical providers accountable. We all need quality medical care at some point in life. We’re passionate about keeping hospitals and medical facilities safe for everyone.
Common Causes of Medical Negligence
A study by Johns Hopkins found that medical malpractice is the third leading cause of death in the United States. While most doctors and medical staff do their best to provide quality care, mistakes happen every day.
Some of the most common causes of medical malpractice include:
- Overworked staff
- Failure to communicate
- Failure to review a patient’s chart
- Failure to take a full medical history
- Failure to run the correct diagnostic tests
- Misinterpreting lab results or diagnostic tests
- Ignoring a patient’s symptoms
- Failure to refer a patient to a specialist when called for
- Performing a procedure without proper training
- Unsanitary conditions
- Operating on the wrong patient or body part
- Leaving a foreign object in a patient’s body
Doctors and nurses aren’t always completely responsible for medical negligence. Sometimes, hospitals and medical facilities fail to provide adequate resources–so your medical team might be tired and undertrained. They just don’t have the energy or resources to provide top-level care.
Hospitals and medical clinics also have a duty to provide a safe environment. That means proper supervision for patients who need it and a generally sanitary environment. When the facility itself fails in these duties, it can be held responsible for the damage.
What is the Statute of Limitations in Florida’s Medical Malpractice Cases?
It’s important to remember that the state of Florida imposes a two-year limit to file a medical malpractice lawsuit. That means your case must be filed within two years, or you could lose your right to compensation. This is a hard and fast rule–the severity of your injury and strength of your claim can’t be used to extend it.
However, there are some exceptions when it comes to medical malpractice. Medical malpractice cases can be complicated because you might not even know you were hurt right away. You might also not know that the doctor made a mistake.
Because of this, the statute of limitations is paused until you start feeling symptoms or receive a diagnosis that identifies the problem. Regardless, there is a firm four-year deadline for filing your injury claim.
The statute of limitations can be difficult to understand. Because of this, it’s always a smart idea to speak with an experienced lawyer as soon as possible if you suspect you were hurt because of someone else’s mistake.
What Are the Damages Available to Victims of Medical Malpractice in West Palm Beach, FL?
You’re entitled to damages to account for the degree that the malpractice made your initial injury or illness worse. In other words, you might not be entitled to compensation for injuries or illnesses that would have occurred even if you received competent care.
However, you may still be entitled to significant compensation. Our lawyers at Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers will fight to get money for:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages and income
- Future medical expenses to treat your worsened condition over time
- Lost future earning potential
- Physical therapy and rehab
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Diminished quality of life
- PTSD, anxiety and depression
- Damages for wrongful death if you lost a loved one because of the doctor’s mistake
You might have heard that there is a cap on non-economic damages like pain and suffering. The Florida courts have ruled that cap unconstitutional. Today, there’s no limit on the amount you can recover.
Contact an Experienced West Palm Beach Medical Malpractice Lawyer Today
Medical malpractice cases can be extremely complex. An experienced West Palm Beach medical malpractice lawyer at Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers can handle all of the issues that arise along the way–so that you can focus on your health. Just give us a call today to schedule your free consultation.
We serve clients in West Palm Beach, Boca Raton and across Palm Beach County.
West Palm Beach Medical Malpractice Lawyer Review
Read more of our client reviews here.
West Palm Beach Emergency Rooms
- Emergency Center West Palm Beach – 5028 Okeechobee Blvd, West Palm Beach, FL 33417
- Good Samaritan Medical Center: Emergency Room – 1309 N Flagler Dr, West Palm Beach, FL 33401
- Palm Beach Children’s Hospital Emergency Room – 901 45th St, West Palm Beach, FL 33407
- St. Mary’s Medical Center Emergency Room – 901 45th St, West Palm Beach, FL 33407
*Disclaimer – we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed on our website.
Our personal injury law firm in West Palm Beach, FL also provides:
- Assault Injury Lawyers in West Palm Beach, FL
- Bicycle Accident Attorneys in West Palm Beach, FL
- Birth Injury Lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL
- Bus Accident Attorney in West Palm Beach, FL
- Car Accident Attorneys in West Palm Beach, FL
- Catastrophic Injuries Lawyers in West Palm Beach, FL
- Dog Bite Lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL
- Lyft Accident Attorney in West Palm Beach, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Attorney in West Palm Beach, FL
- Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers in West Palm Beach, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL
- Premises Liability Attorney in West Palm Beach, FL
- Slip and Fall Lawyers in West Palm Beach, FL
- Taxi Accident Lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL
- Truck Accident Attorney in West Palm Beach, FL
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in West Palm Beach, FL