Medical professionals can cause harm and injury to patients in many ways. It is estimated that 1.2 million patients are harmed each year by medical negligence and errors. Sadly, many of these events are avoidable, including dropped patient injuries.
Dropped patients in West Palm Beach, FL, occur more often than people realize. They can occur in all types of medical settings, including hospitals, nursing homes, assisted living facilities, and outpatient surgical centers.
Our West Palm Beach medical malpractice lawyers at Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers have more than 28 years of experience representing injured victims in South Florida. As top-rated personal injury lawyers, we have recovered millions in compensation for our clients.
Contact our law firm to schedule a free consultation at (561) 556-7873 with an experienced West Palm Beach dropped patient injury lawyer.
Table of Contents
How Our West Palm Beach Personal Injury Lawyers Help You With a Dropped Patient Case
Accusing a medical provider of negligence or malpractice can be overwhelming. Therefore, you need a lawyer who understands medical malpractice law. Medical Malpractice Trial Lawyers included Attorney Gregg Hollander in their Top 25 list.
At Hollander Law Firm, our West Palm Beach medical malpractice lawyers fight to get you the compensation you deserve. We have the skills and resources necessary to take on large medical providers and their insurance companies.
When you hire our award-winning attorneys in West Palm Beach, Florida, you can trust that we will:
- Keep your best interests as our top priority
- Investigate your claim to determine how you were injured
- Identify each party who is liable for your damages
- Document the extent of your injuries and damages to accurately calculate how much your dropped patient claim is worth
- Work with medical specialists and other expert witnesses, as needed
- Aggressively pursue the total value of your damages during settlement negotiations and at trial
You should not have been dropped. As a patient, you have the right to trust that your medical providers will care for you. We are here to help you hold them accountable for breaching their duty of care.
Call Hollander Law Firm to schedule your free case review with a medical malpractice lawyer in West Palm Beach.
How Often Do Medical Professionals Drop Patients?
Falls are one of the most common complications in medical care. It is estimated that 700,000 to one million hospital patients fall each year. Falls can occur because a medical provider drops a patient or fails to prevent a patient from falling.
Dropping patients is considered a never event. Never events are adverse events that injure patients. These medical errors are so shocking that they should never occur.
Dropped Patient Claims in West Palm Beach Involve Serious Injuries
A patient who is dropped can sustain traumatic injuries. The injuries could lead to secondary complications, permanent impairments, and wrongful death.
Common injuries caused by dropping patients include:
- Broken bones and fractures
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injury
- Internal bleeding
- Torn ligaments and dislocations
- Neck injuries
- Broken vertebrae and herniated discs
A dropped patient often requires additional medical care that extends their time in the hospital or other medical facility. They could require additional surgery and physical therapy.
Common Causes of Dropped Patient Cases in West Palm Beach, FL
Some patients are at a higher risk of falling, including elderly patients, patients after surgery, and individuals taking certain medications. However, a high risk of falling is no excuse for a patient being dropped. On the contrary, patients at high risk of falls should have additional measures to prevent them from falling or being dropped.
Common causes of dropped patient claims include:
- Errors in an operating room transferring a patient between a surgical table and a bed
- Failing to assess a patient’s risk of falling
- Errors in operating equipment that lifts or moves patients
- Inadequate training for staff members in ways to prevent dropping patients
- Failing to monitor a patient when they go to the restroom or get out of bed
- Ignoring a patient who needs assistance dressing, bathing, or moving
- Not using bed alarms to alert staff a patient with a fall risk is getting out of bed
- Understaffing facilities so that patients are neglected
- Failing to maintain equipment or have equipment that prevents falls
The medical facility and individual healthcare providers can be held financially liable for damages caused by dropping a patient. One or more parties may be sued when a patient sustains injuries from being dropped.
What Damages Can I Recover for a Dropped Patient Claim in West Palm Beach, FL?
In most cases, an injured patient can receive compensation for their economic and non-economic damages for a medical malpractice claim. Therefore, a dropped patient claim could include damages such as:
- Medical bills
- Pain and suffering
- Lost wages
- Decrease in quality of life
- Emotional suffering
- Permanent impairment and disability
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Rehabilitative therapies
- Nursing and/or personal care
The amount you receive depends on the extent of your injuries and financial losses. At Hollander Law Firm, we pursue all sources of compensation to maximize your recovery for damages.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our West Palm Beach Dropped Patient Injury Lawyers
We understand what is at stake for you, so we take your case seriously. Our legal team at Hollander Law Firm is passionate about fighting for your right to fair compensation. Contact us to schedule a free consultation if your case involves a dropped patient in West Palm Beach.