If you were hurt because of a doctor’s mistake in Boca Raton, FL, you may be entitled to financial compensation. It helps to have an experienced Boca Raton medical malpractice lawyer in your corner as you fight to get the money you deserve. Call Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers, today at 561-347-7770 to schedule a free consultation.
Medical malpractice is a complicated area of law. Our skilled Boca Raton medical malpractice attorneys have over 28 years of experience helping clients get justice for medical negligence. We know how the system works and are committed to helping you get the money you deserve. To learn more about our practice, contact our Boca Raton office to get started with your case.
Table of Contents
How Will a Boca Raton Medical Malpractice Lawyer Help With My Case?
It’s important to have a skilled Boca Raton medical malpractice attorney by your side. After all, getting fair compensation for damage to your health can be critical to your future.
At Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers, we have the proven track record of success you want in your corner. With more than 28 years of experience and millions recovered for our clients, we know what it takes to get you the results you deserve.
When you trust us with your case, our Boca Raton personal injury attorneys will:
- Examine your medical records, interview witnesses, and engage respected experts to find out what happened to cause your harm
- Investigate the negligent healthcare provider’s safety record
- Find out whether the hospital or facility was property staffed and maintained
- Work closely with medical experts to find out what it will cost to treat the harm you have suffered
- Prepare an insurance demand for every party who might be liable
- Protect you when the insurance company tries to scare you into accepting a lowball settlement
Our Boca Raton medical malpractice lawyers near you are committed to providing big firm results with the small firm attention you deserve. You can expect a lawyer who will take your calls, answer your questions and help you understand your options. When you’re ready to pursue your right to compensation, we’re here to help. We represent clients in Boca Raton and surrounding areas in South Florida, including cities in Palm Beach County and Broward County, FL.
How Can I Prove Medical Malpractice Under Florida Law?
Medical negligence happens when a doctor or other healthcare professional:
- Owed you a duty of care (for example, a doctor-patient relationship existed),
- Strayed from the medical standard of care,
- Caused you to suffer some type of injury, illness or worsened condition,
- Caused you to suffer damages–whether physical, emotional, or financial.
Medical malpractice happens when a doctor or healthcare professional deviates from the acceptable standard of care. The medical standard of care is very fact-specific. It can change depending upon the type of illness you had or the doctor’s degree of specialization.
Victims of South Florida medical malpractice often don’t know they’ve been harmed until some time has passed. Our South Florida lawyers will comprehensively investigate to find out what happened–and why.
What is the Medical Standard of Care?
Medical malpractice cases often hinge on establishing the relevant medical standard of care. The testimony of a certified medical expert is required to establish this standard under Florida law. Not just any doctor will qualify to provide expert testimony. The doctor must complete a certification process first.
Factors relevant to establishing the medical standard of care include:
- The medical professional’s qualifications
- The patient’s medical history
- The condition or injury being treated
- The patient’s age
- The geographic location
At Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers, our experienced Boca Raton medical malpractice lawyers have developed relationships with respected experts in South Florida. We have the resources needed to engage these specialists, who are key to proving that your doctor committed medical negligence.
We Handle All Types of Boca Raton Medical Malpractice Cases Near You
Not every bad outcome qualifies as medical malpractice. The doctor or healthcare provider has to deviate from the medical standard of care. In other words, the doctor has to make a mistake that no other competent doctor would have made. Examples of mistakes or omissions that could be malpractice include:
- Failure to diagnose a condition
- Delayed diagnosis
- Cancer misdiagnosis
- Failure to run the proper tests
- Operating on the wrong body part
- Medication errors
- Anesthesia errors
- Emergency room errors
- Certain birth injuries
- Surgical errors, such as leaving a tool in the patient’s body
- Failure to obtain informed consent
- Failure to advise the patient of the risks
- Failure to obtain or consult the patient’s medical history
- Failure to follow up with a patient after surgery or treatment
Medical malpractice claims can be based on any errors, omissions or failures at any point during the medical process–including pre-and post-treatment.
What are the Time Limits in Medical Malpractice Cases?
Medical malpractice victims must file a lawsuit within two years. The clock usually starts running on the date you discovered the malpractice, or reasonably should have known about it. However, you have four years in total–running from the date the malpractice actually occurred. This rule is designed to account for situations where you didn’t find out the doctor made a mistake until years later.
You are also required to notify the medical professional of your intent to sue. This pre-suit notification must be given 90 days prior to filing the actual lawsuit. It has to contain information about the basis for the lawsuit, as well as information about the medical expert who has completed an affidavit to support your claim.
What are the Damages Available for Victims of Medical Malpractice in Boca Raton?
Damages awards are divided into different categories. Economic and non-economic. Economic damages represent your actual expenses caused by the malpractice.
There is no limit on economic damages in South Florida medical malpractice cases. You can recover money for:
- Past medical bills
- Future medical treatment
- Physical therapy, rehab and specialized care
- In-home care
- Lost wages
- Any other expenses you’ve incurred because of the malpractice
Non-economic damages provide money for the more subjective, non-financial harm that is caused by medical malpractice. Those damages offer compensation for:
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Pain and suffering
- Diminished quality of life
- Emotional distress
Florida law caps non-economic damages at $500,000 for practitioners and $750,000 for non-practitioners in medical malpractice cases. If the malpractice caused wrongful death or a permanent vegetative state, the cap is raised to $1 million. At Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers, our skilled South Florida medical malpractice lawyers know what it takes to get the maximum amount of compensation possible.
To learn more about how we’ll put our experience to work for you, all you have to do is call our law offices for a consultation.
Who Can Be Held Liable For Damages in a Florida Medical Malpractice Case?
Florida has pure comparative negligence rules, which means that any negligent medical provider can be held responsible for damages in a medical malpractice lawsuit.
When you file a South Florida medical malpractice claim, any of the following could potentially be named as liable parties:
- ER doctors,
- Medical clinics,
- And more.
Our Boca Raton medical malpractice attorneys have the skills you need to find out what happened. If you suspect you were harmed by a medical mistake, call us today to learn more about pursuing your right to compensation.
Schedule a Free Consultation with an Experienced Boca Raton Medical Malpractice Lawyer Today
Medical negligence is the third-leading cause of death in the United States. Holding negligent medical providers fully accountable for their mistakes can be key to preventing future harm. Our lawyers at Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers, are committed to helping injured clients get justice.
Your first consultation is completely free, so don’t hesitate to get legal advice. You can schedule a free consultation with an experienced Boca Raton medical malpractice lawyer by calling our offices today. We serve clients in Boca Raton, West Palm Beach, and across South Florida.
Boca Raton Medical Malpractice Review
Boca Raton Emergency Rooms
- MD Now Urgent Care – 7600 W Camino Real Suite #102, Boca Raton, FL 33433
- West Boca Medical Center Emergency Room – 21644 FL-7, Boca Raton, FL 33428
- Boca Raton Regional Hospital ER – 800 Meadows Rd, Boca Raton, FL 33486
*Disclaimer – we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed on our website.
Our personal injury law firm in Boca Raton, FL also provides:
- Bicycle Accident Lawyer in Boca Raton, FL
- Boating Accident Attorneys in Boca Raton, FL
- Brain Injury Lawyers in Boca Raton, FL
- Car Accident Attorneys in Boca Raton, FL
- Catastrophic Injuries Lawyers in Boca Raton, FL
- Child Injury Attorneys in Boca Raton, FL
- Construction Accident Lawyer in Boca Raton, FL
- Dog Bites Attorney in Boca Raton, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in Boca Raton, FL
- Medical Malpractice Attorneys in Boca Raton, FL
- Nursing Home Abuse Attorney in Boca Raton, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in Boca Raton, FL
- Product Liability Lawyers in Boca Raton, FL
- Slip and Fall Attorneys in Boca Raton, FL
- Truck Accident Lawyers in Boca Raton, FL
- Uber Accident Lawyer in Boca Raton, FL
- Workplace Accident Attorneys in Boca Raton, FL
- Wrongful Death Lawyers in Boca Raton, FL