Boca Raton Surgical Mistakes Lawyer
Surgical mistakes and errors are common causes of injuries and wrongful death in Boca Raton, FL. Medical professionals have a duty to provide a certain standard of care for all patients. When they breach their duty of care, they may be guilty of medical negligence.
The Boca Raton surgical mistakes lawyers of the Hollander Law Firm have over 28 years of experience fighting for injury victims’ rights throughout South Florida.
We know how to win your case. Our multi-million dollar results reflect our experience, dedication, and willingness to fight for our clients’ best interests. Please contact our law firm to schedule a free consultation with an experienced Boca Raton personal injury lawyer.
How Our Boca Raton Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help After You’ve Been Injured By a Surgical Mistake
At the Hollander Law Firm, we believe that every client deserves personal services from an experienced Boca Raton personal injury attorney. Therefore, our founding attorney handles the intake process personally.
This ensures you receive advice from an experienced medical malpractice attorney when you’re considering hiring a personal injury lawyer in Boca Raton, Florida.
When you hire our legal team, you can expect us to:
- Use the skills, resources, and experience gained in over 28 years of working with clients to fight for maximum compensation for your personal injury case
- Conduct a thorough and complete investigation into what happened to you
- File all insurance claims and claims against individual parties liable for your injuries and damages
- Aggressively negotiate a fair settlement for your case
- Prepare and file a medical malpractice lawsuit, if necessary, to protect your legal rights
- Provide support and guidance during all phases of your case through a professional attorney client relationship
If you need a personal injury lawyer in West Palm Beach or Boca Raton, FL, contact us now to request a free case review. You may contact our law offices by phone or by using our online contact form to schedule your free consultation with a Boca Raton medical malpractice attorney.
How Common Are Surgical Mistakes?
Surgical errors and mistakes are some of the most common types of medical negligence reported in hospitals in the United States.
About 400,000 hospital patients are victims of surgical mistakes each year. Surgical mistakes are also common in surgical facilities and doctors’ offices.
Overview of Surgical Mistakes
Surgical errors are one of the most common reasons for medical malpractice in medical settings. A surgeon, nurse, or other medical professional makes an error during a surgical procedure that causes the patient to sustain an injury. Some injuries caused by surgical mistakes can result in permanent impairments or wrongful death.
What Are Common Causes of Surgical Mistakes?
Surgical mistakes range from operating on the wrong site or operating on the wrong patient.
Common examples of surgical mistakes include:
- Failing to obtain and/or review a patient’s complete medical history before performing surgery
- Failure to ensure the surgical site is free from medical instruments or supplies before closing the area
- Rushing to complete the surgery because of overbooking or other reasons
- Operating on the wrong patient or the wrong site or performing the wrong surgical procedure (WSPEs)
- Failing to monitor a patient during and after surgery
- Operating under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Mistakes made due to fatigue from overwork
- Lack of adequate training and knowledge of the procedure
- Distractions during the surgical procedure
- Failing to perform diagnostic tests and evaluate potential risk factors before surgery
- Lack of communication between the surgeon and medical staff members
Many medical mistakes during surgery are preventable. They are caused by human error and negligence. When a surgeon or other medical professional makes a mistake, the consequences could be deadly for the patient.
Common Types of Injuries Caused by Surgical Mistakes
Injuries caused by surgical mistakes can include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Damage to internal organs
- Spinal cord injuries
- Coma or vegetative state
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Nerve damage and soft tissue damage
In some cases, the errors cause the death of a patient. Determining what happened in the operating room is crucial to learning who is liable for the patient’s injuries and damages.
Who is Liable for a Surgical Mistake?
Incompetence, substance abuse, lack of training, fatigue, and understaffing can be factors in a medical malpractice case. Surgeons and other members of the medical team may be liable for damages caused by surgical mistakes. The hospital or medical facility may also share in the liability for the error.
Proving liability for damages caused by a surgical error can be complicated. It requires testimony from medical experts to establish how the surgeon or other party deviated from the standard of care they were supposed to provide. You must also link the patient’s injury to the deviation from the standard of care. Our experienced Boca Raton surgical mistakes attorneys understand medical malpractice laws and what is required to win your case.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Boca Raton Surgical Mistakes Lawyers
The above discussion of surgical mistakes is for informational purposes only. Our attorneys handle all types of medical malpractice cases, including cases involving surgical mistakes. Call our office now to speak with an experienced Boca Raton surgical mistakes lawyer in South Florida.