Were you recently injured in a car accident near Boca Raton, FL? Has someone you love tragically died in a crash?
You may be entitled to compensation from those at fault. The experienced Boca Raton car accident lawyers at Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers, will be relentless in pursuit of a maximum financial award on your behalf.
Contact our law office in Boca Raton or call us at (561) 347-7770 to discuss the details of your case with our founding attorney, Gregg Hollander.
This gives you the opportunity to learn about your rights and potential legal options for recovery after a car accident. Your first consultation with our lawyers is free, so call to set an appointment now.
Table of Contents
How Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers Can Help After a Car Accident in Boca Raton
There are no two ways about it – car accidents are stressful. When someone else is at fault – even partially – they should be held financially accountable.
Bodily injury claims and lawsuits are time-consuming and challenging. You should be able to focus on getting better – not fighting an insurance company.
That’s why it’s important to enlist the help of an experienced Boca Raton personal injury lawyer near you after you get hurt. Since 1996, our accident lawyers have been advocating on behalf of injured victims in Boca Raton and surrounding areas. We’ve gone up head-to-head with deep-pocketed insurance companies and won big for our clients.
Call us for help, and we will:
- Support and guide you during this tough time
- Handle all aspects of your auto accident case from start to finish, while providing candid communication throughout the process
- Launch a thorough and in-depth inspection into your crash
- Enlist the aid of local accident and injury experts, such as forensic specialists, former law enforcement, accident reconstructionists, medical professionals, and more
- Scrutinize relevant evidence from all angles as we work to establish causation, fault, and liability
- Prepare a legal claim and pursue compensation from everyone who contributed to your accident
- Stand up and defend you when insurance adjusters attempt to blame you for your injuries
- Engage in meaningful negotiations with other parties and their insurance providers, working to get a substantial offer on your behalf
If insurance companies don’t extend a fair offer or try to play games, our Boca Raton car accident attorneys will be fully prepared to take your case to the next level. Gregg Hollander’s reputation as a trial lawyer precedes him – and that can be quite advantageous to you during the negotiation process.
Call our law office and Gregg Hollander, to learn more. As always, there is no charge for your initial case evaluation.
Boca Raton, FL Car Accident Statistics
As the second-largest city in the Palm Beaches, it’s no surprise that traffic can be problematic (to say the least) in Boca Raton. Between year-round residents, snowbirds, and tourists, the streets are often jam-packed. And, where there’s traffic, accidents follow.
According to data published by the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles reveal that accidents are incredibly frequent in Boca Raton:
- 2012: 16,726
- 2013: 22,712
- 2014: 24,291
- 2015: 24,887
- 2016: 27,838
- 2017: 27,273
- 2018: 29,962
- 2019: 26,817
- 2020: 22,106
- 2021: 24,853
- 2022: 24,777
- 2023: 624 (as of 01/14/23)
So, between 2012 and 2022, Boca Raton and Palm Beach County accidents surged by a staggering 49 percent.
Fatal Auto Collisions in Boca Raton
A significant proportion of the accidents that unfold on our roadways are quite severe. Between 2012 and 2022, there have been a total of 1,811 fatalities in the area.
That’s an average of 181.1 fatal crashes in a year.
During that same period, 158,163 people were injured. That breaks down to 15,816 injuries a year, or 43 a day.
Palm Beach County Car Crash Stats (January 2023 Update)
According to preliminary data for January 2023, there have been 624 car accidents so far – 0 of which were fatal (as of 01/14/23).
Data also show that there were 401 motorcycle accidents (28 fatal), 479 bicycle accidents (14 fatal), and 631 pedestrian accidents (55 fatal) in 2022, too.
Thanks to the Coronavirus pandemic, we saw a slight decline in the number of auto collisions in 2021. Overall, there were about 20% fewer.
Car crash data reveal that, in 2021, there were:
- 24,853 collisions
- 195 fatal accidents (resulting in 215 deaths), and
- 9,810 injury-causing accidents (leaving 15,205 people injured).
Notably, the number of auto accident fatalities near you remained static between 2019 and 2021, despite the 20% drop in the total.
Who is Legally Responsible For My Accident and Injuries?
In Florida, you can demand compensation from anyone who contributed to a crash or caused you to get injured. This is true, regardless of how small a role they might have played.
That’s why our Boca Raton car accident attorneys near you will dig deep into the details of your case and leave no stone unturned during our investigation. Once we’ve discovered what caused your accident, we can then set our sights on determining who can be held accountable for the consequences.
Depending on the specific circumstances of your case, that might include:
- Motorists of other passenger vehicles on the road
- Uber or Lyft drivers
- Truck operators
- Trucking companies
- Bus operators
- Transit companies
- Car manufacturers faulty for the sale of defective safety equipment
- Agencies in charge of road design, construction, and maintenance
- Employers of at-fault companies
- Passengers, and
- Anyone whose negligence was a factor in your accident.
We’ll get to the bottom of your case to determine who’s to blame, and fight tirelessly to hold them fully accountable for your injuries. Call our Boca Raton law offices to learn more.
We Represent Clients in All Types of Car Accident Cases
For more than 28 years, our lawyers have represented clients who have suffered devastating and life-changing injuries as a result of an auto accident in Boca Raton. As a result, we know the steps that must be taken to help you after an incident.
Our attorneys handle all auto accident cases:
- Boca Raton DUI Accident Lawyer
- Fatal Car Wrecks in Boca Raton
- Highway Crashes
- Hit and Run Accidents in Florida
- Improper Lane Change Accidents
- No-Fault Accident Lawyer in Boca Raton, FL
- Parking Lot Crashes
- Road Hazards in Boca Raton, FL
- Tailgating / Following Too Closely
- Vehicle Defects
- Rollover Accidents
- Wrong Way Wrecks in Boca Raton, FL
- Single vehicle crash
- Multi-vehicle crash
- T-Bone accident
- Front-end wrecks
- Accident involving an uninsured or underinsured driver
- Accidents involving a truck, bicycle, or pedestrian
We’re always available when you need us. Call us, and our team will be there.
Common Causes of Car Accidents in Boca Raton
Car accidents frequently occur in and around the city. The leading causes are:
Speed is a factor in many accidents in our city. Often, this is caused by vehicles that are simply being driven too fast, which reduces the driver’s reaction time and stopping distance.
However, a good number of accidents in the city also include drivers who are traveling well below the posted speed limit.
Distractions are a leading cause of auto accidents everywhere. Boca Raton and nearby cities are no exception, even though texting and driving is now outlawed across the state. When a driver isn’t paying attention, the chances of a wreck increase exponentially.
Drugs and alcohol factor into a lot of the serious accidents that take place in Boca Raton. In 2018, Palm Beach County reported a total of 323 drunk driving accidents. Those accounted for 15 fatalities and at least 169 injuries.
Tired drivers are almost as much of a threat to others as drunk ones. If you’re tired, you are much more likely to experience a reduction in your reaction times. You might even fall asleep at the wheel, giving you no time to react, at all.
When teenagers turn 16, they’re undoubtedly excited about getting their license and hitting the open road. Unfortunately, many of the accidents reported in Boca Raton are caused by young people. In 2018, 3,634 accidents involved drivers who were between the ages of 15 and 20. That’s nearly 10 crashes a day – and 13 percent total – that involve inexperienced drivers.
Aggressive Maneuvers at Intersections
Boca Raton is a busy city – bumper to bumper traffic isn’t unusual. Many drivers, tired of sitting in traffic, try to make up for lost time when there’s an opportunity to do so. At intersections, this usually means gunning it to beat a red or yellow light or making turns without looking for bicyclists or pedestrians in the crosswalk.
Roadways have to be designed and maintained with diligence and care. That could be up to the city of Boca Raton, Palm Beach County, or Florida. However, sometimes road maintenance falls to the wayside, allowing potholes and other hazards to develop. When a road hazard causes a crash near you, the government can potentially be on the hook for the costs.
Poor Vehicle Maintenance
Owners have a responsibility to make sure that their vehicles are in proper and safe working conditions. This is particularly important for truck companies and transit agencies that have common carriers or big rigs out on the road. When an avoidable mechanical issue contributes to an accident, the owner might be liable for the resulting harm.
There are accidents that occur despite the fact that everyone personally involved exercised an appropriate degree of care. In some cases, those accidents are a result of a defective vehicle or piece of safety equipment – such as an airbag or brakes. Under state laws, companies that manufacture or sell defective products can be liable for these accidents.
Common Car Accident Injuries
Our lawyers take on cases where we believe that we can truly make a meaningful difference in the client’s life.
Our attorneys regularly fight to recover compensation for victims whose injuries include:
- Broken bones and fractures
- Eye injuries
- Chest injuries
- Neck and back injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Soft tissue damage
- Deep vein thrombosis
- Shoulder injuries
- PTSD and emotional trauma
- Catastrophic injuries
Sadly, sometimes when auto accidents are so violent that victims don’t survive the extent of their injuries. When this is the case, we’re there to support their families.
While filing a wrongful death lawsuit after a fatal car accident won’t bring a family member back, the money that’s recovered can make a difference that lasts a lifetime.
What are the Damages Available to Boca Raton Auto Accident Victims?
There are three types of compensation that might be available for you – economic, non-economic, and punitive.
Economic damages are awarded to help with the present and future expenses that are associated with an avoidable accident. We’ll take a close look at how your accident has affected you monetarily and seek compensation for:
- Medical bills
- Physical therapy
- Nursing care
- Income and wages losses
- Temporary and/or permanent disability
- Funeral and burial expenses
When you are awarded this type, it should be as if the accident never happened, as far as your bank account is concerned.
Non-economic damages are awarded to make up for the ramifications of an accident that aren’t easy to value. These injuries don’t come with receipts nor do they have a singular value. These injuries are very personal, so the price tag often varies from one injury case to the next. Examples include:
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Loss of consortium
- Losing quality of life
Finally, punitive damages might be applicable if your accident occurred because the defendant named in your lawsuit caused harm intentionally or whose behavior was grossly negligent. This type is only intended to punish the defendant, not compensate the victim, so they’re traditionally used in situations where that is warranted.
You can count on our law office to fight to protect all of the compensation you need and deserve under Florida state law. We’ll bring in the help of specialists so that we are certain that we know what your case is worth and have the evidence to back up our demands. Call us to get started today.
How Do I Prove Negligence for a Car Accident?
Most accidents are caused by driver negligence (carelessness), meaning they are usually preventable.
Negligence consists of four distinct elements, which must each be proven by the injured party (plaintiff):
- Duty of care: All drivers owe other drivers, pedestrians, and others sharing the road a duty to act cautiously to avoid causing accidents and injuries.
- Breach of duty: If someone acts unreasonably under the circumstances and causes an accident or injury, they likely breached their duty of care. For example, distracted or impaired driving would probably satisfy this element because a reasonable person would pay attention to the road or refrain from driving under the influence to keep away from causing an incident.
- Causation: The at-fault driver’s breach of duty must have been the proximate and direct cause of the plaintiff’s injuries.
- Damages: The plaintiff must have sustained injuries due to the accident (e.g., medical bills, pain and suffering, lost wages, etc.).
We’ll help you collect evidence – including the crash report, medical records, photos, videos, witness statements, and more – proving each element of negligence. Contact us now so that we can get started on building your claim. The sooner we begin, the stronger the evidence will be in your claim.
When Should I Hire a Car Accident Attorney?
As soon as possible after your crash. Secure early legal advice can make a huge difference in your injury claim. Your attorney can help you identify the avenues for recovering compensation for your losses.
Your lawyer can also help you collect and preserve evidence that could be crucial to your case later on. Most importantly, they can help you protect your rights by avoiding statements or actions that could damage your injury claim.
How Much Does It Cost To Hire an Auto Accident Lawyer?
Most car accident attorneys in Boca Raton work under a contingency fee agreement, meaning you pay no upfront costs to retain legal representation. You’ll only owe the attorney (typically between 33-40%) if they negotiate a favorable settlement or verdict on your behalf. If they don’t, you will pay no legal fees.
Our attorneys work under this agreement and offer an initial consultation for free. There’s no obligation to reach out for our help after a wreck. We’ll offer honest legal advice and advise whether you have a valid claim.
Choosing the Right Car Accident Lawyer
Finding an attorney can be daunting because there are so many out there.
However, we’ve provided some things to look for when researching the right lawyer for you:
- Years of experience: It is wise to hire a lawyer who has experience in handling motorvehicle accidents. We have nearly three decades of experience helping victims who have sustained injuries in collisions.
- Past case results: While these don’t guarantee your case’s outcome, they can demonstrate the attorney’s ability to negotiate or litigate cases in court successfully.
- Trust: You need this with your attorney to be comfortable and communicate effectively with them. Look at client reviews to see if they’re trusted in the community.
Look for an attorney who primarily deals with motor vehicle accident cases. They’ll know how to obtain the maximum compensation for you.
What Are the Most Dangerous Roads in Boca Raton, FL?
A collision can happen anywhere, but certain streets tend to see more than others.
Some of these roads and intersections include:
- North Military Trail and Okeechobee Blvd
- Atlantic Avenue and Lyons Road
- S Military Trail and Atlantic Avenue
- 45th Street and North Congress Avenue
- Forest Hill Boulevard and Military Trail
- Southern Boulevard and State Road 7
- State Road 7 and Glades Road
- Congress Avenue and W Atlantic Avenue
- Lake Worth Road and S Jog Road
Whether your car wreck happened in one of these accident-prone roadways or elsewhere, our lawyers can help.
How Long Do I Have To File a Car Accident Lawsuit in Florida?
For most car crash lawsuits in Florida, the statute of limitations is two years. There are though some exceptions to this rule.
The statute of limitations can be accelerated. Other times, the timeframe can be extended. This is typically the case when a child is hurt or injuries aren’t evident right away. In any event, it is critically important to get a jump start on your case. We can help you do that. All you have to do is give us a call to get started.
If you decide to file a lawsuit and demand compensation, you must do so before time runs out. Miss the deadline, and you’ll forfeit the right to obtain any compensation, at all.
The Insurance Company is Trying to Blame Me For an Accident – What Should I Do?
First, don’t panic. In Florida, you can still recover compensation for your injuries, even if you do share some of the blame for an accident. Someone else just has to share responsibility, too.
However, know that playing a role in an accident will affect how much money you’ll ultimately be able to obtain when your case is resolved. That’s because Florida operates under a modified comparative fault system.
Fault is allocated and divided up between everyone who contributes to an accident. If you share blame, you’ll find that:
- Your compensation is reduced by your proportionate responsibility, and
- Your right to compensation is eliminated once your portion of fault reaches 51%.
Insurance companies really like to take advantage of the comparative negligence rules as they search for any reason to deny a claim or limit their accountability. So, it’s a usual tactic for adjusters to point fingers and try to blame victims for their own injuries.
Don’t let insurers push you around or withhold the compensation you rightfully deserve. Call us and let our experienced attorneys fight for you. We’ll do everything in our power to disprove claims that you share blame or, at the very least, work to downplay your role. The smaller your share of responsibility, the higher your compensation.
What are the Steps to Take After a Car Accident in Boca Raton?
After an accident, you should always remain at the scene, get medical attention, and call the police. Don’t admit any fault or responsibility and call your lawyer.
Our lawyers want you to know that the things you do and the decisions you make after an unexpected accident in Boca Raton matter. Remember to keep these things in mind:
- Remain at the Scene: If any property was damaged or someone was injured or killed, it’s a crime to drive away. Stay put, call the police, and wait for help to arrive.
- Get Medical Attention: There’s one big exception to the “stay at the scene” rule. If you need medical treatment because your injuries are catastrophic – go! Even if you aren’t in need of immediate medical care, be sure to make your way to the doctor or hospital as soon as you can. That’s the only way to ensure that your health is protected and that your injuries are documented properly.
- Call the Police: You want to be sure that your accident is formally documented. The best way to do that is by calling 911or the local precinct. An officer will conduct a preliminary assessment and complete an accident report. Should you decide to pursue compensation, that report can be worth its weight in gold.
- Resist the Urge to Apologize: Don’t admit that you are to blame. Resist the urge, even if you wholeheartedly believe it’s true. You only experienced the accident from one perspective. You really don’t have all of the facts. And, you won’t have all of the facts until your accident is investigated. Admitting fault right away might mean that an investigation never happens and that you never have the chance to recover the money you really deserve.
- Direct All Conversations to Your Lawyer: Insurance adjusters might try to contact you shortly after an accident. It might be to get a statement or it could be to extend a settlement offer. Either way, the best course of action involves directing them to your personal injury lawyer. Your lawyer is looking out for your best interests – the insurance company is not. So, let your attorney handle things from here on out.
Finally, make sure that you contact a Florida car accident attorney who has extensive experience handling motor vehicle accident matters. Your lawyer will be able to help you position yourself to maximize your financial recovery.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is the Average Settlement for a Car Accident?
The amount you receive in a claim will depend on the severity of your injuries and their impact on your life. Many sources list the settlement involving bodily injury at around $20,000, but your claim could be as low as a couple of thousand dollars or as high as millions. Consult an experienced attorney to determine the compensation you may be able to recover.
Is it Worth Hiring a Lawyer for a Minor Car Crash?
Consulting a lawyer can be extremely worthwhile. Even minor car accidents can result in serious financial losses, such as vehicle damage and/or medical bills. Moreover, your compensation might be greater than you think, and you may have more than one avenue for obtaining compensation for your losses.
A lawyer can help you determine your options and protect your rights throughout your claim. Most personal injury attorneys offer free consultations to prospective clients. Therefore, you can get experienced legal counsel with no financial risk.
What Does PIP Insurance Cover?
Florida is a no-fault state for auto insurance and requires all drivers to purchase PIP (personal injury protection) insurance. It covers up to 80% of your medical expenses and 60% of your lost wages – even if you were at fault. However, the minimum required coverage in Florida is $10,000, which may not cover the full extent of your award.
Who Pays for My Medical Bills After a Car Accident?
Hospital bills and healthcare costs are expensive. Your PIP will likely not be enough to pay all your losses if you’re suffering from serious injuries. If your medical expenses exceed your PIP policy limits, you may be able to pursue an insurance claim or personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault driver. We’ll help you identify all avenues for compensation after your wreck.
What If My Car Is Declared a Total Loss?
If the insurance company deems your car “totaled,” they have determined that repairing the vehicle will cost more than the value of the car itself. In that case, they will likely send you a check for the fair market value of your car.
Will an Insurance Company Provide Me With a Rental Car?
No, your PIP insurance company will not. However, if you weren’t at fault for the collision and the at-fault driver has liability insurance coverage, it may while your car is being fixed. Alternatively, you may have purchased optional rental reimbursement coverage, so check with your insurer to see if you have this insurance.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Boca Raton Car Accident Lawyers Near You
You may be entitled to compensation if you’ve been involved in a car collision in Boca Raton, Florida. Our legal team can help you fight to get every last dollar you deserve. Our Boca Raton car accident attorneys will handle your legal claim – you focus on getting better. It’s that simple. Give our law office a call to get started with a free initial case evaluation now.
Additional Car Accident Resources and Information
- Boca Raton Car Accident Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I Be Compensated For Pre-Existing Conditions After a Car Accident?
- How Long Do I Have to File a Car Accident Claim in Boca Raton, FL?
- How to Obtain a Car Accident Report in Boca Raton, FL
- What Is the Average Florida Auto Accident Settlement?
- When Do You Need to Hire a Car Accident Lawyer?
Areas We Serve in Boca Raton, FL
Brentwood of Boca, Hamptons at Boca Raton, Whisper Walk, Mission Bay, Sandalfoot Cove, Boca Pointe, Boca del Mar, Highland Beach, Boca West, Pearl City, Kings Point, Royal Palm Polo, Avalon 850 Boca, Boca Falls, Boca Lago, Stonebridge Country Club, and more.
Auto Repair Shops Near You
- Auto Clinic of Boca – 21000 Boca Rio Rd, Boca Raton, FL 33433
- Boca Auto Service, LLC – 303 NW 1st Ave, Boca Raton, FL 33432
- Meineke Car Care Center – 23193 Sandalfoot Plaza Dr, Boca Raton, FL 33428
- Mobile Auto Repair – 22214 Bella Lago Dr, Boca Raton, FL 33433
*Disclaimer – we do not endorse these companies or profit from having them listed on our website.