Car accident statistics reveal that there are nearly 6 million car crashes every year in the United States. They can be frightening and traumatizing. For survivors, emotional and psychological damage often accompany the devastating injuries.
In recent years, Florida has seen an unfortunately high number of car accidents, averaging about 1,200 per day. These crashes result in mild to severe injuries and even death.
When you or a loved one has been injured or killed in a car accident in Florida, you need an experienced personal injury lawyer in Boca Raton, FL, who will aggressively pursue compensation for your trauma. At Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers, we fight to get justice for our clients and have a proven record of success.
Contact our law office at (561) 347-7770 to speak with our experienced Boca Raton car accident lawyers and learn more about how we can help you get compensation to cover your expenses and the impact on your life.
Table of Contents
Car Accident Statistics in Florida
Traffic deaths and injuries compiled by the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicle (FLHSMV) for 2021 show that there were 401,532 total crashes.
Of those collisions, 163,961 involved injuries. Another 3,449 were fatal.
- The total number of individuals who died from crashes numbered 3,736 because multiple deaths occurred in the fatal crashes.
- There were also 109,644 hit and run crashes, which resulted in 24,380 injuries and 305 deaths.
In Palm Beach County, where Boca Raton is located, there were 24,856 total crashes, with 15,201 injuries and 213 traffic fatalities.
As of October 2022, Florida has experienced the following crashes:
- 295,754 total crashes
- 2,392 fatal crashes causing over 2,500 fatalities
- Over 120,000 injury crashes, which have caused 187,775 injuries
- 6,946 motorcycle crashes, with 446 fatalities
- 7,411 pedestrian crashes and 5,310 bicycle crashes
This data paints a grim picture of car accident statistics in Florida in recent years.
Car Accident Statistics in the United States
General statistics across the United States:
- Car accidents cause permanent injuries for around 2 million drivers each year.
- Crash risk is highest in the first year after a driver gets a license.
- 22% of the crashes that occur every year because of the weather.
- 29% of crashes are rear-end crashes; the most common collision type.
- Tailgating plays a part in more than a third of all crashes.
Common causes of car accidents, as well as related statistics are listed below.
Of the most common forms of distracted driving is texting on the cell phone while driving. It is important to note that it is illegal in Florida to text and drive.
Distracted driving statistics:
- In the time it takes you to send or read a text, your eyes are off the road for 5 seconds. When you consider a speed of 55mph, that means your eyes are off the road for the length of a football field (according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration – NHTSA)
- One in three teens who text have admitted they do so while driving.
- One in four drivers who were involved in a crash, used a cell phone right before impact.
- 96% of surveyed drivers consider themselves a safe driver, yet 56% of them say they use the phone while driving.
- The chance of crashing increases 12 fold when dialing a phone while driving.
Other forms of distracted driving include eating, fiddling with GPS, applying makeup, or dealing with other passengers such as children in the back seat.
According to the Centers for Disease Control, 29 people are killed every single day in the United States as a result of an accident involving drunk driving. Where the driver had 0.08% or higher blood alcohol concentration (bac), the likelihood that he or she had a prior conviction was 4.5 times greater than those with no blood alcohol content.
Drunk driving statistics:
- Drinking and driving costs the country $199 billion annually.
- Drunk driving is responsible for more than 30% of all driving fatalities each year.
- Men are almost twice as likely as women to have driven drunk or been involved in a fatal crash.
- 30 people die each day due to drunk driving accidents (one person every 48 minutes).
- 800 people are injured in a drunk driving crash every day.
If you are going out, always have a designated driver, ensure that someone has control of your car keys, or simply call a taxi or uber.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, speeding was responsible for 9378 deaths in 2018. When you speed, you are slower to react to impediments, resulting in a high risk for a car crash and increasing the severity of impact in a crash.
It is also common for speeding to be an overlapping factor that combines with other causes of accidents. For example, speeding while drunk driving or speeding while not wearing a seat belt.
- Crashes due to speeding cost the country $40.4 billion every year.
- For the last twenty years, speeding was involved in one-third of all motor vehicle deaths.
- Teens are more likely to speed and tailgate.
- Half of the five million annual car crashes are caused by aggressive drivers, with speeding being the biggest culprit.
In 2016, over 10,000 people were killed due to speeding, comprising more than a quarter (27%) of all crash-related deaths.
Seat Belt Statistics
Seat belts have become the norm and the national rate of seat belt use is 90.1%. Still, there are those who fail to wear them at the most critical times.
- Failure to wear a seat belt renders you 30 times more likely to be ejected in a crash; death rates are much higher if you are thrown from the vehicle.
- Women are 10% more likely to wear seat belts than men.
- Drivers between the ages of 18-34 are less likely to wear seat belts.
- Wearing a seat belt is the most effective way to reduce the risk of death from a car crash.
- Nearly 300,000 lives were saved because of seat belts since 1975.
The statistics are daunting. Clearly, when people do not take care when they are driving, they are putting themselves at risk as well as other drivers on the road.
If you were injured because of someone who was negligent and did not take care while driving, you should be compensated for the experience you are being forced to endure. Having a strong personal injury law firm in your corner significantly increases the likelihood of getting the justice and money you need to get back to normal.
Why Do You Need a Personal Injury Lawyer if You Have Been in a Car Accident in South Florida?
After a car accident where you have been injured, you may have the right to file a claim and demand compensation to make you whole.
Motor vehicle crash deaths and injuries are complex and you should not have to handle the complexities on your own. Our accomplished, competent Florida personal injury lawyers at Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers, can take on your case and help you win.
Our Florida law firm takes pride in providing our clients with world-class legal representation.
We care about what happened to you and we know how painful and frustrating all this has been. We have represented accident victims just like you for years.
When you hire us, we will:
- Assess your case by reviewing all relevant documents and evidence including hospital records, police forms, eyewitness accounts, video camera footage, and photos of the accident scene.
- Consult with medical specialists and automotive experts to determine the impact and severity of your accident so we can accurately calculate the compensation you deserve.
- Deal with insurance company negotiations to get you a strong settlement offer; we know all their tricks.
- If the offer is not adequate to cover your losses, we are not afraid to go to court to get you justice.
Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers will be by your side and will take care of all the legal issues so you can concentrate on health and recovery. Rest assured we will do everything we can to get you the best possible outcome.
Contact our South Florida Car Accident Law Firm Today
If you have been involved in a car crash caused by another’s negligence, you should be compensated for your suffering. At Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers, we understand the difficulties you are enduring because we have years of experience with car accident cases. We know personal injury law like the back of our hand, and we bring all that knowledge to the cases we handle.
Give our Florida law office a call today. Your first consultation is absolutely free and you pay nothing unless we are able to secure a financial award for you.
Some Car Accident Cases We Cover
- Rollover accidents
- Parking lot accidents
- Illegal driving maneuvers
- Most dangerous roads and intersections