When you go to the doctor with symptoms you do not understand, you want answers. You expect your doctor to perform an examination and tests to diagnose the cause of your symptoms.
Unfortunately, that is not always the case. When a doctor fails to diagnose a medical condition, the patient can suffer irreparable harm.
Failing to diagnose a medical condition is a common reason for medical malpractice cases. Our Boca Raton failure to diagnose lawyer at the Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers has extensive experience handling these types of malpractice cases.
With over 28 years of legal experience, you can trust that our legal team has the knowledge, skills, and resources to handle your claim. Contact our law firm by calling (561) 347-7770 for a free consultation with a medical malpractice attorney in Boca Raton, Florida.
Table of Contents
How Our Boca Raton Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help if You’ve Been Injured Because of a Failure to Diagnose
A doctor’s failure to diagnose your illness can lead to significant harm, physically and financially. This mistake could have even cost a loved one their life. At Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers, we believe that every client deserves to be fully compensated for the injuries and damages caused by a doctor’s negligent behavior.
We utilize the resources and knowledge gained in almost three decades of practicing law to obtain top awards for our clients, including multi-million dollar results.
When you hire our legal team in Boca Raton, FL, you can expect us to:
- Investigate the cause of your illness or injury to determine if medical negligence or wrongdoing is the cause
- Work with you and your new physicians to document the extent of your injuries and damages
- Identify each party that can be held liable for your damages
- File insurance claims and lawsuits to protect your legal rights and best interests
- Aggressively argue for the maximum compensation allowable for your case
If you are searching for a medical malpractice attorney in Boca Raton, FL, you have found the law firm for you. Call our office today to schedule a free consultation with one of our Boca Raton personal injury attorneys.
How Common Are Injuries Caused by a Failure to Diagnose?
According to Johns Hopkins, diagnostic errors accounted for the largest number of medical malpractice claims over a 25 year period. Diagnosis-related claims also accounted for the most severe patient harm and the highest total of medical malpractice payouts. The leader of the study stated that diagnostic errors could be the most significant patient safety and medical malpractice problem in the United States.
Overview of Failure to Diagnose Conditions
Failure to diagnose conditions can also include failing to provide the correct diagnosis or providing the wrong diagnosis. When a doctor fails to diagnose a condition, the patient could experience complications, including life-threatening conditions.
Law firms representing patients work to uncover malpractice and hold the medical professional financially liable for the patient’s injuries and damages.
What Are Common Causes of a Failure to Diagnose a Condition?
Common causes of a failure to diagnose case are:
- Failing to provide a timely diagnosis because the doctor did not listen to or consider the patient’s report of symptoms
- Failure to order timely laboratory tests
- Misinterpretation of laboratory and diagnostic tests
- Practicing under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- A diagnostic error because a doctor is tired from working too many hours or in understaffed conditions
- Failing to diagnose and treat a condition because the doctor made the wrong diagnosis
- Failure to timely refer patients to a specialist or consult a specialist
- Failing to complete a differential diagnosis list to diagnose conditions that have the same symptoms
If you suspect that your doctor failed to diagnose your condition correctly, you should see another doctor immediately to obtain a correct diagnosis and treatment plan. You should also talk to a Boca Raton failure to diagnose injury lawyer about your legal rights.
Common Types of Injuries Caused by Doctors Failing to Diagnose Conditions
When a doctor fails to diagnose a condition correctly, the patient could sustain various injuries or harm.
The potential consequences of a failure to diagnose conditions include:
- The condition worsens, causing life-threatening injuries and complications
- The patient receives the wrong treatment because of a misdiagnosis
- There is a delay in treatment which could lower the chance of survival or recovery
- A patient may develop a permanent disability or impairment
- The loss of limbs from surgical amputation
The damages caused by failure to diagnose include physical and emotional pain and suffering. They also include the economic losses from medical bills, personal care costs, and loss of income. Pursuing a medical malpractice claim against the liable parties can result in compensation for damages.
Who is Liable for Injuries Caused by a Failure to Diagnose a Condition in Boca Raton, FL?
The doctor who misses a diagnosis is generally responsible for the damages caused by failure to diagnose a condition. However, a hospital, medical facility, laboratory, or diagnostic technician could share the liability for a medical malpractice claim.
Proving malpractice requires that you establish the standard of care that should have been used in your case. Doctors have a duty to provide care that meets or exceeds the acceptable standard of care. The standard of care is generally based on what a doctor with the same training and experience would have done in similar circumstances.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Boca Raton Medical Malpractice Lawyers
Your time to file a medical malpractice claim is limited by the Florida Statute of Limitations. Failing to file your claim before the deadline means you give up your legal right to hold a negligent doctor legally responsible for your damages. It takes time to investigate and pursue these types of personal injury claims, so you need to begin as early as possible.
Contact our law firm today to discuss your case with a Boca Raton medical malpractice lawyer. Your initial consultation is free of charge.