Orthopedic surgery is an invasive procedure that has inherent risks. However, you trust your orthopedic surgeon to perform the procedure you need with the standard of care accepted throughout the medical community. Unfortunately, when an orthopedic surgeon makes mistakes, patients suffer.
Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers can help if you’ve been the victim of orthopedic surgeon malpractice in West Palm Beach. We routinely help patients seek compensation after acts of medical negligence and intentional acts. We fight to recover compensation for their financial losses, emotional distress, and pain. We’ve recovered tens of millions of dollars for victims suffering after preventable tragedies.
Table of Contents
How Our West Palm Beach Medical Malpractice Lawyers Help Patients Injured by Orthopedic Surgeons
For nearly three decades, our West Palm Beach medical malpractice attorneys have helped individuals with medical malpractice cases. These types of cases require time, skills, and resources to pursue. Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers understand the steps necessary to hold negligent doctors accountable for their mistakes.
Orthopedic malpractice claims are complex personal injury cases. However, going through the process is necessary to get you the money you deserve. Our legal team works to simplify the process of filing a medical malpractice claim to help reduce the stress you experience after being injured by an orthopedic surgeon.
When you hire our legal team, you can expect us to:
- Investigate your claim to determine how the orthopedic surgeon caused your injury
- Work with medical experts to gather evidence proving medical malpractice
- File insurance claims and work with the insurance companies to negotiate a fair settlement
- Document your injuries and damages to calculate the correct value for your injury claim
- Monitor the deadlines to file claims and medical malpractice lawsuits
- Prepare to argue your case in court if the insurance company and surgeon refuse to negotiate in good faith
Our medical malpractice lawyers are skilled negotiators and aggressive trial lawyers. We fight for your best interests inside and outside of the courtroom.
Contact our law firm today to schedule your free case evaluation with one of our West Palm Beach, Florida orthopedic surgeon malpractice attorneys.
What Is an Orthopedic Surgeon?
Orthopedics is the treatment of the musculoskeletal system. It includes a person’s tendons, joints, muscles, bones, and ligaments. Orthopedic surgeons specialize in the treatment of disorders of the musculoskeletal system. They may perform surgery after an accident or injury. Orthopedic surgeons also perform surgery to treat illnesses and degenerative diseases.
Orthopedic surgeons perform a variety of surgeries including, but not limited to:
- Joint replacement surgery
- Tumor surgery for bone cancers
- Nerve repair and muscle grafts
- Foot and ankle surgery
- Hand and wrist surgery, including carpal tunnel surgery
- Surgery to treat pediatric orthopedic conditions
- Treatment of sports injuries
- Surgery to correct or treat limb deformity
- Spinal surgery
- Broken bones and fractures
An orthopedic surgeon has specialized training in treating diseases and injuries of the musculoskeletal system. Therefore, they focus on this specific area instead of performing general surgery.
What Is Orthopedic Surgeon Malpractice in West Palm Beach, FL?
Orthopedic surgeon malpractice occurs when a surgeon deviates from the accepted medical standard of care. The deviation is a breach of the duty of care owed to the patient. The breach of duty causes the patient to be harmed by causing injuries and damages.
Common causes of orthopedic surgeon malpractice include:
- Failure to diagnose fractures and broken bones
- Improper treatment of fractures
- Failure to diagnose nerve damage or impingement
- Harmful delay of diagnosis or misdiagnosis of a condition
- Failure to recognize post-surgical conditions and problems
- Leaving surgical instruments inside a patient and other surgical mistakes
- Failing to perform diagnostic tests and misinterpretation of MRIs, x-rays, ultrasounds, and CT scans
- Failing to recognize or take steps to prevent blood clots after surgery
- Improperly setting a broken bone
- Applying a cast too tightly or incorrectly
- Operating on the wrong body part
When an orthopedic surgeon breaches the duty of care owed to a patient, the surgeon may be held financially liable for damages caused by the malpractice. Florida medical malpractice laws give patients a legal course of action to recover damages caused by a medical provider’s intentional or negligent acts.
What Damages Can I Recover for an Orthopedic Surgeon Malpractice Case?
The damages you can receive for an orthopedic surgeon malpractice claim depend on the facts of your case.
Generally, patients are entitled to compensation for their:
- Pain and suffering
- Medical bills and expenses
- Loss of income
- Permanent impairments and disabilities
- Decreased quality of life and loss of enjoyment of life
- Future damages for ongoing medical, nursing, or personal care
- Diminished earning potential and future lost wages
Our legal team at the Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers works with you, your doctor, and medical experts to document the extent of your damages. We fight to obtain the best possible settlement or jury verdict available for your claim.
What Is the Statute of Limitations for Orthopedic Surgeon Malpractice Cases in West Palm Beach?
Generally, Florida’s statute of limitations imposes a two-year deadline for medical malpractice lawsuits. However, exceptions exist when patients do not know that a doctor caused them harm. The time to file a medical malpractice claim may begin when a patient discovered the harm or should have reasonably known about the malpractice.
With limited exceptions for fraud or intentional misrepresentation, there is a firm four-year deadline for filing malpractice claims in any event. Therefore, it is wise to seek legal advice as soon as you suspect that your doctor may have made a mistake that caused you harm.
Get Help from a Medical Malpractice Attorney in West Palm Beach
A mistake made by an orthopedic surgeon can result in life-altering conditions or wrongful death. Our West Palm Beach medical malpractice lawyers work to right the wrong when a doctor harms a patient. Unfortunately, we cannot undo the pain and suffering the doctor caused, but we can work to recover compensation for the damages.