Many nursing home residents in the United States require specialized care. They may have health conditions that put them at a higher risk of injury or harm, including choking injuries. Nursing homes in West Palm Beach, Florida that fail to safeguard against choking incidents could be held liable for injuries, damages, and wrongful death claims.
Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers works with families to hold nursing facilities, their owners, and staff members liable for nursing home abuse and neglect. Our top-rated legal team has more than 28 years of experience standing up for injured victims.
We believe that negligent parties should compensate nursing home abuse victims for the pain and suffering they endure. Contact our West Palm Beach, FL law office to schedule a free consultation, call us at (561)-556-7873. Learn about the legal action you can take to get justice for your loved one after a nursing home choking accident.
Table of Contents
How Our West Palm Beach Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers Can Help with a Choking Claim
When we place our family members in a nursing home, we expect them to be treated with respect and compassion. We also expect our loved ones to receive the medical and personal care they need to protect them from injuries and illnesses.
The guilty parties could face criminal charges if your loved one is injured or harmed while in a nursing home. In addition, your loved one may have a separate civil claim against the parties for damages caused by nursing home neglect and abuse.
When you hire our West Palm Beach personal injury lawyers to handle your case, you can expect us to:
- Work with you and your loved one’s physicians to ensure that your family member is safe and receiving the care they need
- Investigate the nursing home to determine whether it violated one or more state and federal laws
- Review prior complaints and reports filed against the nursing home for abuse and neglect
- Interview witnesses, staff members, and other individuals to gather evidence regarding the incident
- Document your loved one’s injuries and damages
- Identify all parties who have liability for damages
- File claims and monitor the progress of those claims
- Prepare and file a lawsuit, when necessary
Your loved one is your primary concern. Let us handle the legal matters while you focus on the well-being of your family member.
Call Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers today to speak with a nursing home abuse lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL. Your initial consultation is free and confidential.
Why Do Choking Accidents Occur in Florida Nursing Homes?
Many nursing home residents have a high risk of choking. They may have medical conditions that could increase choking hazards. Medications, advanced age, lying down, and missing teeth can increase the risk of choking.
However, many of the choking accidents in nursing homes are because of elder neglect and abuse. Staff members may not adequately monitor patients when they eat or drink. They may fail to cut their food into small bites or feed residents who have difficultly feeding themselves.
The patient may take large bites or fail to chew their food enough before swallowing, resulting in choking. Even a small object like a pea or a pill could become a choking hazard for nursing home patients.
How Does Negligence in Nursing Homes Lead to Choking Accidents?
Many factors may contribute to the failure to prevent choking hazards in nursing homes.
Common reasons for nursing home neglect and abuse that contribute to choking risks include, but are not limited to:
- Failing to have policies and procedures in place for preventing choking accidents
- Failure to require all staff members to be certified to use the Heimlich maneuver
- Inadequate supervision of patients and staff members
- Hiring employees who do not have the qualifications necessary to address choking hazards or accidents
- Understaffing nursing homes so there are not enough staff members to monitor and assist patients during feeding times
- Hiring employees with a history of neglect or abuse allegations
- Inadequate training of staff members
When nursing homes fail to meet their duty of care by hiring inadequate staff members to supervise and care for residents, the residents may sustain injuries or harm. Some residents die because of nursing home neglect and abuse.
Filing a nursing home abuse lawsuit can hold the negligent parties accountable for their actions. It can also provide compensation for your loved one’s damages.
Filing a Nursing Home Abuse Case for a Choking Accident in West Palm Beach, FL
Money will not undo the harm caused by negligence or abuse in a nursing home. However, it can remind the facility that it will be held accountable if the abuse or neglect continues. The money can also help provide additional care for your loved ones, including moving them to a better facility.
Compensation for a nursing home negligence claim may include money for your loved one’s:
- Emotional distress
- Physical pain and suffering
- Medical bills and expenses
- Mental anguish
- Permanent impairments
- Personal care and nursing care
- Transfer to a new facility
If you suspect your family member is being neglected or abused in a nursing home, report the abuse to the nursing home administration. If you fear for your loved one’s safety, you can call 911 for help.
Contact Our Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers in West Palm Beach
Let’s work together to get the justice that your family deserves. If you or someone you love has suffered a choking injury, Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers can help.
Call us to schedule a time to speak with one of our experienced West Palm Beach nursing home abuse attorneys. Consultations are free, so call today.