Were you or a loved one injured in a boating accident near West Palm Beach, FL? You may be entitled to hold the at-fault party liable for compensation to cover medical bills, lost wages, and your pain and suffering. An experienced West Palm Beach boating accident lawyer at Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers will do everything possible to recover the maximum compensation you deserve.
For nearly three decades, we’ve worked hard to protect the rights of accident victims in South Florida. Our track record speaks for itself: we’ve recovered tens of millions of dollars in compensation for those clients over the years.
Table of Contents
How Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers Can Help After a Boating Accident in West Palm Beach
Accidents that happen on the water can be especially dangerous. It can take time for help to arrive. The water itself adds a serious risk. That means victims often suffer significant injuries in boat wrecks.
The personal injury process can also be more complex. You deserve to have an experienced personal injury lawyer by your side. At Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers, we have 28 years of experience handling personal injury cases. We’ve been recognized by the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum and as an Avvo Top Attorney with a perfect-10.0 rating.
Insurance companies also recognize our name. They know that our West Palm Beach personal injury attorneys won’t settle for less than our clients deserve.
With us by your side, you’ll have a lawyer to:
- Investigate the circumstances of your accident
- Handle all paperwork and insurance communications
- Consult leading experts and specialists
- Gather the evidence to build your case
- Negotiate to maximize your settlement award
We won’t back down if the insurance company refuses to play fair. To learn more, just call for your 100% free case review today. Remember, we work on a contingency fee basis, so you don’t have to worry about upfront costs.
How Common Are Boating Accidents in West Palm Beach, FL?
Boating accidents may not be as common as car accidents. That doesn’t make them any less serious. According to U.S. Coast Guard reports, 3,191 people were injured and 767 people lost their lives in boating accidents during 2020. In the end, those accidents cost about $62.5 million in property damage.
According to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC), Florida had 836 boating accidents in 2020 (a 16% increase over 2019).
Over 55 of those accidents occurred in Palm Beach County, making it the third-highest ranked county in terms of accidents. According to FWC reports, 24 of those accidents caused injuries and four people were killed.
At Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers, our West Palm Beach boating accident attorneys handle all types of boat accident cases, including those involving:
- Personal watercraft
- Cabin motor boats
- Open motor boats
- Pontoon boats
- Jet skis
- Jet boats
- Fishing boats
- Kayaks and non-motorized boats
- Cruise ships
- And more
Do you have questions about your legal right to compensation after a boat accident in West Palm Beach? Don’t hesitate to reach out for a free case evaluation today.
What is My West Palm Beach Boating Accident Case Worth?
We know that it can be tempting to accept the insurance company’s initial offer. You may be struggling financially or simply want to put the legal issues in the past. However, it’s important to realize that it could be less than you deserve.
Insurance companies make money by paying injured parties less than the full value of their claims. It’s your lawyer’s job to advocate for the full amount you deserve.
To assess the value of your case, we’ll first analyze the unique facts of your case. How much your personal injury case is worth depends on things like:
- The cost of your medical treatment
- Your anticipated recovery time and future need for rehabilitation
- Your lost wages and out-of-pocket expenses
- The emotional trauma you’ve suffered
- Whether you’ll suffer any permanent losses or disability
Our lawyers have handled countless personal injury cases over the years. We often work with experts who can help assess your case value. To learn more about how we can help, just call our legal team for a free initial consultation today.
What Types of Damages Are Available to Boating Accident Victims?
Money is often an issue for accident victims. Even while you focus on your recovery, the bills can start to add up quickly. It’s important to get all of the damages you’re entitled to receive.
Florida personal injury laws classify compensatory damages according to financial or non-financial losses.
Economic damages cover your out-of-pocket expenses, including:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Reduced future earning potential
- Physical therapy
- Nursing care
- Property damage
Non-economic damages are your non-financial, personal losses. Examples include:
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Diminished quality of life
- Loss of consortium
Calculating the value of these losses can be challenging. You won’t have receipts to support your non-economic losses. Our lawyers can help you translate these subjective losses into a dollar value.
Can I Recover Damages If I’m Being Blamed for a Boating Accident in Florida?
When you pursue compensation from a responsible party, it’s also possible that they’ll try to blame you for causing the accident.
You won’t lose your right to compensation under Florida state laws so long as your level of responsibility is 50% or less. However, your compensation can be reduced by your allocated blame. You’ll lose your right to damages from the other party if your portion of fault exceeds 50%.
We’ll Fight to Recover Compensation for All of Your Boating Accident Injuries
Boating accidents can be extremely traumatic. Our lawyers in West Palm Beach are committed to recovering full compensation for both your physical and emotional injuries.
We often represent clients who have sustained:
- Brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Head and neck injuries
- Knee injuries
- Wrist and hand injuries
- Facial injuries
- Back injuries
- Organ damage
- Broken bones
- Soft tissue injury
- Nerve damage
- Amputation injuries
- Catastrophic injuries
- Wrongful death of a loved one
The cost of medical care can be shocking. If you were hurt, don’t let the responsible parties walk away without paying their fair share. Give us a call today for help fighting for the maximum compensation you deserve.
What Causes Most Boating Accidents in West Palm Beach, Florida?
According to FWC reports, some of the most common causes of boating accidents in West Palm Beach include:
- Failure to keep a proper lookout
- Operator inattention
- Machinery failures
- Inexperienced boat operators
- Violation of navigational rules
- Excessive speeds
- Equipment failures
- Sharp and dangerous turns
- Hazardous waters
- Negligent passenger behaviors
- Alcohol or drug use
- Congested waters
These behaviors can cause many different types of accidents. At Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers, our lawyers often handle boating accident cases involving:
- Collisions with other vessels
- Collisions with fixed objects, such as docks or jetties
- Falls overboard
- Flooding or swamping
- Fires and explosions
- Slip and fall accidents
- Drowning accidents
You’re entitled to recover compensation from anyone who was careless and caused your accident. Sometimes, multiple parties share the blame. That might include the boat’s driver, a manufacturer of a defective part or even another passenger.
To learn more about how we can help prove your case, call for a free case evaluation today.
How Do I Prove Negligence After a Boating Accident in Florida?
Most boating accidents occur because of careless or reckless behavior. Often, simple negligence is the root cause of an accident.
To recover compensation based on negligence, you have to establish:
- The responsible party owed you a legal duty of care
- A breach of duty
- The breach directly caused the accident
- The level of damages you suffered
While strict liability theories may apply in some cases, the vast majority of personal injury claims are based on negligence under state or maritime laws.
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit After a Boating Accident in Florida?
In Florida, the statute of limitations gives most accident victims two years to file a personal injury claim or lawsuit. This statute of limitations used to give accident victims four years to file, but the law was updated on March 24, 2023. Thus, if your West Palm Beach boat accident occurred after that, you’ll have two years to file an injury lawsuit.
If you lost a loved one, you have two years from the date of death to sue for damages.
These are important deadlines. Once the time is up, you lose your right to compensation entirely.
Contact a West Palm Beach Boating Accident Lawyer for a Free Consultation
At Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers, we’ve been advocating for accident victims like you for decades. You can count on us to use the full weight of our experience to your advantage. If you were injured, we highly recommend calling a West Palm Beach boating accident lawyer for a free consultation today.
Our personal injury law firm in West Palm Beach, FL also provides:
- Amputation Injury Lawyers in West Palm Beach, FL
- Assault Injury Lawyers in West Palm Beach, FL
- Aviation Accident Attorney in West Palm Beach, FL
- Bad Faith Insurance Lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL
- Bicycle Accident Attorneys in West Palm Beach, FL
- Birth Injury Lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL
- Brain Injury Lawyers in West Palm Beach, FL
- Bus Accident Attorney in West Palm Beach, FL
- Catastrophic Injury Lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL
- Car Accident Attorneys in West Palm Beach, FL
- Catastrophic Injuries Lawyers in West Palm Beach, FL
- Child Injury Attorneys in West Palm Beach, FL
- Construction Accident Lawyers in West Palm Beach, FL
- Cruise Ship Accident Lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL
- Dog Bite Lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL
- Electric Scooter Attorney In West Palm Beach, FL
- Lyft Accident Attorney in West Palm Beach, FL
- Maritime Accident Lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL
- Mass Transit Accident Attorney in West Palm Beach, FL
- Medical Malpractice Lawyers in West Palm Beach, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Attorney in West Palm Beach, FL
- Negligent Security Lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL
- Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers in West Palm Beach, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL
- Premises Liability Attorney in West Palm Beach, FL
- Product Liability Attorney in West Palm Beach, FL
- Recreational Vehicle Accident Attorney in West Palm Beach, FL
- Sexual Assault Lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL
- Slip and Fall Lawyers in West Palm Beach, FL
- Spinal Cord Injury Attorney in West Palm Beach, FL
- Taxi Accident Lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL
- Train Accident Lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL
- Truck Accident Attorney in West Palm Beach, FL
- Uber Accident Lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL
- Worker’s Compensation Attorney in West Palm Beach, FL
- Workplace Accidents Lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in West Palm Beach, FL