If you or a loved one are struggling with painful injuries after a truck accident, you may be entitled to financial compensation. A skilled Fort Lauderdale truck accident lawyer at Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers can help you. Contact our Fort Lauderdale law offices at 954-287-0566 and schedule a free consultation with one of our lawyers.
Truck accident claims can be complex. You don’t have to handle it alone. We can help you recover compensation for medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
Table of Contents
How Can a Fort Lauderdale Personal Injury Lawyer Help With My Truck Accident Case?
Accidents involving large trucks and tractor-trailers tend to cause the most serious injuries. They require extended stopping time and can be hard to navigate. Unfortunately, it’s the other people on the road who tend to be hurt when a truck causes an accident.
Even if your right to compensation seems clear, don’t expect the legal process to be easy. In fact, you should be suspicious if the insurance company offers you a check right away. That settlement might seriously underestimate the actual value of your injury claim.
Our Fort Lauderdale personal injury lawyers at Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers have been fighting to get full and fair compensation for accident victims for more than 28 years. We’ve recovered millions in compensation for our clients across Broward County and South Florida.
We know it can be difficult to know what to expect when you hire a lawyer. When you hire our legal team, you can expect your attorney to:
- Investigate to uncover the underlying cause or causes of the accident
- Bring in accident reconstruction experts, medical and vocational specialists, and others who can offer evidence to establish the fair value of your injury claim
- Fight back when the insurance company tries to blame you for causing the accident
- Make sure you meet all relevant deadlines to preserve your right to compensation
- Handle the paperwork, insurance negotiations, and administrative requirements so you can focus on getting better
Our attorneys in Fort Lauderdale always strive to build a case that will stand up in court. Even if we anticipate an out-of-court settlement, this lets the insurance companies know that we’re serious. If they refuse to offer a fair settlement, we’ll be ready to advocate for your rights before a judge and jury.
Interested in learning more about how we can put our proven record of success to work for you? All you have to do is call to arrange a free consultation. We’re always here to help.
Truck Accident Statistics: Just How Dangerous Are Truck Accidents?
We all know how common it is to see large trucks and 18-wheelers on the roads of Fort Lauderdale. These trucks play an important role in our economy. However, statistics show that 4,862 large trucks were involved in fatal motor vehicle accidents in 2018 alone. 112,000 more large trucks and semi-trucks were involved in injury crashes.
These statistics aren’t surprising. After all, a loaded tractor-trailer or commercial truck can weigh up to 80,000 tons under U.S. law. The average standard passenger car weighs only 1.5 tons. When a large truck collides with a smaller passenger vehicle, the results can often be catastrophic for passengers in the lighter car.
What Are the Most Common Causes of Truck Accidents in Fort Lauderdale?
According to Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration research, the most common causes of truck accidents are:
- Veering into other lanes or off the road
- Loss of control
- Dangerous or illegal turns
- Driver distraction
- Driver fatigue
- Following too closely or tailgating
Most truck accidents are caused by some type of driver error. Truck drivers spend hours on end behind the wheel. They’re particularly prone to distraction and fatigue. Some even resort to drug and alcohol use while on the roads.
Other truck accidents can be caused by mechanical errors and defects. If a defective vehicle component caused your accident, we can help you file a product liability lawsuit against the manufacturer of the dangerous product.
Truck Accidents Caused By Negligent Trucking Companies
Truck accidents are fundamentally different from your common car accident case. Truck drivers are usually employed by a large trucking company. The trucking company can be held liable if driver negligence caused the accident under basic employment law theories.
Large trucking companies can also be held responsible if the crash was caused by:
- Failure to properly maintain the truck
- Failure to ensure the truck driver was qualified to drive the vehicle
- Errors in supervising truck drivers to ensure compliance with federal safety standards
- Failure to conduct regular inspections to identify problems with the truck
- Hiring a negligent company to load the cargo or maintain the vehicle
It can be tricky to get to the bottom of what happened after a truck accident. The trucking company will almost always send inspectors and attorneys to the crash scene. They’ll do everything in their power to minimize their own liability.
Let our truck accident attorneys even the score. Give us a call as soon as possible so that we can get to work and find out what caused your crash.
Truck Accident Injuries Can Be Life-Altering For Crash Victims
Victims of truck accidents in Fort Lauderdale often suffer:
- Brain injuries
- Head and neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Back injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Traumatic amputations
- Broken bones
- Joint injuries
- Catastrophic injuries
- Wrongful death of a loved one
Truck accident injuries can require months, if not years, of physical therapy and pain. Our lawyers will fight to get every dollar you deserve. If you were injured by a truck in Fort Lauderdale, just reach out and set up a free case review with Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers today.
Who Can I Sue For Damages After a Truck Accident?
Florida shared fault rules allow you to sue any responsible party for damages. You can even file lawsuits and insurance claims against multiple parties. Every responsible party should be held financially accountable for their share of the damage.
Examples of responsible parties in a truck accident case could include:
- Truck drivers
- The company that owns the truck
- A truck leasing company
- A company hired to inspect or maintain the truck
- Manufacturers of dangerous truck parts
- A cargo loading company
- A company in charge of securing the “tractor” to the “trailer”
- Government agencies responsible for maintaining safe road conditions
When so many parties could share in the blame, you can generally expect a lot of finger-pointing. That’s the last thing you should have to deal with after a crash. Our lawyers are here to take on the burden and make sure all responsible parties are held responsible.
Can Comparative Fault Rules Impact My Personal Injury Lawsuit?
Even the accident victim can be held liable under Florida contributory negligence rules. However, the state of Florida doesn’t eliminate your right to damages entirely if you’re partly to blame. Your final settlement can be reduced by the percentage of fault assigned to you.
Take a simple example where a truck accident victim is awarded $100,000 in damages. If the victim is found to be 30% responsible, the settlement will be reduced to $70,000. In other words, it’s reduced by the 30% of fault shared by the injured party.
Statute of Limitations in Florida Truck Accident Cases
The personal injury statute of limitations in Florida gives you four years to file a lawsuit. The clock starts running on the date of your accident. The statute of limitations is a hard and fast rule. Once four years have expired, you lose your right to compensation entirely.
What Types of Compensation Can a Fort Lauderdale Truck Accident Victim Recover?
Personal injury claims in Florida are supposed to make the accident victim whole again. That doesn’t mean it’s always easy to get what’s fair. Our experienced personal injury attorneys at Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers will put nearly three decades of practical experience to work for you. Our primary goal? Getting the most compensation available in your case.
That means we’ll work to get money for your:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Future medical expenses
- Lost future earning capacity
- Physical therapy, rehab, or long-term care
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- PTSD, anxiety, and depression
- Loss of enjoyment of life
If you lost a loved one in a Fort Lauderdale trucking accident, we can file a wrongful death lawsuit to recover compensation for:
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of financial support
- Lost inheritance
- Loss of parental guidance
- Funeral and burial expenses
- All medical bills stemming from the crash
Don’t wait to get help if you’re suffering after a truck accident. Call today to get the legal advice you need.
Schedule a Free Case Review With a Fort Lauderdale Truck Accident Lawyer Today
Having a strong Fort Lauderdale truck accident lawyer in your corner can make or break your case. At Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers, we’re committed to providing high-quality legal help at a price you can live with. Your first consultation is always free. We also work on a contingency fee basis, so we only collect attorneys’ fees if we recover compensation for you.
All you have to do is call our law offices today to get the ball rolling. We’re proud to serve Fort Lauderdale and the surrounding communities.
Our personal injury law firm in Fort Lauderdale, FL also provides:
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Boating Accident Attorney in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Brain Injury Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Car Accident Attorneys in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Dog Bite Lawyers in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Lyft Accident Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Medical Malpractice Attorney in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Premises Liability Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Product Liability Attorney in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Slip and Fall Lawyers in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Spinal Cord Injury Attorneys in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Truck Accident Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Uber Accident Attorney in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Workplace Accident Lawyers in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in Fort Lauderdale, FL