Were you or a loved one injured in a bus accident in Fort Lauderdale, FL? Auto accidents involving large commercial buses can cause serious damage. An experienced Fort Lauderdale bus accident lawyer at Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers can help you fight to recover compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and your pain and suffering.
Since 1996, we’ve worked hard for accident victims across South Florida. That hard work has paid off for our clients–we’ve recovered tens of millions of dollars to help those clients move forward after their injuries.
Accident claims involving public transportation can be complex. To learn more about your legal rights, call our law offices in Fort Lauderdale, Florida at 954-287-0566 to schedule a free consultation, or contact us here.
Table of Contents
How Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers Can Help After a Bus Accident in Fort Lauderdale
You aren’t technically required to hire a lawyer after an accident. However, an experienced lawyer can make a significant difference in your case. Bus accidents can get messy. Often, you’ll have to face off against a government entity or large corporation to get the compensation you deserve.
With Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers by your side, you can rest assured that your lawyer is doing everything possible to maximize your settlement.
When you hire our Fort Lauderdale personal injury lawyers, we will:
- Launch a thorough investigation into the accident
- Identify all responsible parties
- Assess your case value
- Consult experts and specialists to strengthen your case
- Handle all insurance negotiations to maximize your settlement
Our Fort Lauderdale personal injury attorneys have over 28 years of experience in personal injury law. We’ve been recognized by the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum and earned a Perfect-10 AVVO Rating.
Don’t trust just any lawyer with your future. Call our lawyers to start fighting for fair compensation for your injuries today.
How Common Are Bus Accidents in Fort Lauderdale, FL?
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) compiles data on bus and truck accidents across the U.S. In 2019, at least 232 buses were involved in fatal traffic accidents.
According to FMCSA, the following types of buses were involved in fatal accidents, based on research compiled between 2009 and 2019:
- School buses (39% of all fatal accidents involved a school bus)
- Transit (34% of all fatal accidents)
- Intercity buses (12% of all fatal accidents)
The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV) also keeps records on bus crashes in the state of Florida. In 2020, at least 223 bus drivers and passengers were injured in bus accidents. However, over 800 injuries were listed as “possible.”
In Fort Lauderdale, bus accidents often involve:
- Broward County Transit (BCT) buses
- Greyhound buses
- RedCoach buses
- Charter buses
- School buses
- Shuttle buses
- Commuter buses
Whether you were injured as a bus passenger, third-party motorist, or even as a pedestrian, our lawyers in Fort Lauderdale are here to help. Just give us a quick call to schedule a free case evaluation today.
What is My Fort Lauderdale Bus Accident Case Worth?
Every personal injury claim is unique. You could walk away with a few thousand dollars–or with millions. Our lawyers have seen all types of settlements in bus accident cases. But to give you a better idea of what your case is worth, we first have to understand the facts.
Some of the factors that will influence your case value include:
- The nature and severity of your injuries
- The cost of your medical care
- The length of your recovery period
- Whether your injuries limit your ability to work, either during recovery or permanently
- Whether you can take care of yourself during and after recovery
- The impact on your quality of life
Insurance companies often seem cooperative after an accident. They may even offer you a settlement right away. Don’t be fooled by these tactics. That usually means the insurance company knows they’re responsible and wants to quickly settle your case.
Our Fort Lauderdale bus accident attorneys at Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers will review your case for free. You can count on us to fight for the maximum compensation you deserve. Call to schedule your free case review today.
What Types of Damages Are Available to Bus Accident Victims?
Bus accident victims can always seek compensation for economic damages and non-economic damages. Economic damages are your financial expenses, such as:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages and income
- Reduced future earning potential
- Nursing care
- Property damage
Your non-economic damages are often referred to as “pain and suffering damages.” They include:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Lost enjoyment of life
- Physical disfigurement and scarring
- Loss of consortium
Punitive damages aren’t available in every case. They’re only available in rare cases where the accident happened because of gross negligence or malicious conduct. For example, if the bus driver was drunk and caused an accident, the court may award punitive damages as punishment.
Can I Recover Damages If I’m Being Blamed for a Bus Accident in Florida?
When we think of bus accidents, we often imagine it’s only the bus passengers who can be injured. In reality, pedestrians, bicyclists, and other drivers can also suffer harm in bus wrecks. It’s much more common for the insurance company to try blaming these victims for contributing to the accident.
Fortunately, you won’t lose your right to compensation unless you’re mostly responsible for the accident. Under the modified comparative fault laws in Florida, each responsible party is assigned a percentage of fault. As a victim, your compensation can be reduced by your own share of fault.
We’ll Fight to Recover Compensation for All of Your Bus Accident Injuries
Not all buses have seat belts, airbags, and other safety features common to passenger vehicles. It’s not uncommon for bus passengers to suffer serious injuries in a crash. Occupants in passenger cars are also at risk–because buses are so large and heavy.
At Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers, our attorneys often represent clients who have sustained:
- Broken bones
- Nerve injuries
- Whiplash injuries
- Other neck injuries
- Soft tissue injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Seat belt injuries
- Back injuries
- Organ damage
- Burn injuries
- Amputation injuries
- Catastrophic injuries
- Wrongful death of a loved one
We know things can be difficult if you’ve sustained a serious injury. We’re here to offer all the support we can give.
What Causes Most Bus Accidents in Fort Lauderdale, Florida?
Buses transport dozens of people at a time. Under Florida law, every bus driver must obtain a special commercial driver’s license before operating a bus. Still, far too many bus accidents are caused by driver error.
Some of the most common causes of bus drivers in Fort Lauderdale include:
- Distracted driving
- Fatigued driving
- Dangerous turns
- Speeding and other traffic violations
- Failure to yield the right-of-way
- Aggressive driving
- Unsafe passing
- Dangerous lane changes
- Running a red light or stop sign
- Drunk driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs
- Inexperienced drivers
- Stopping in dangerous locations to pick up passengers
- Road hazards
- Vehicle malfunctions
- Failure to maintain the bus in a safe condition
- Defective buses and bus components
Bus accidents can happen in the blink of an eye. You might not know what caused the accident–or who can be held liable.
Our lawyers can help you investigate. Just give us a call to schedule a free initial consultation today.
How Do I Prove Negligence After a Bus Accident in Florida?
Like car accidents, most bus accidents happen because of negligence.
To prove negligence, your lawyers will work to establish:
- The at-fault party’s legal duty of care
- A breach of the duty
- How the breach caused your accident
- What damages you sustained
Bus drivers are common carriers in the state of Florida. That means they’re subject to a heightened duty of care. However, even if the bus driver’s negligence caused the crash, multiple parties may share legal liability.
Those parties include:
- Government transit authorities
- Third-party motorists
- A private bus company
- School districts
- Bus mechanics
- Bus maintenance companies
- The manufacturer of defective safety equipment
Our lawyers can help you locate the proof you need to establish liability. We’ll interview witnesses, locate video footage, analyze police reports, and more.
How Long Do I Have to File a Personal Injury Lawsuit After a Bus Accident in Florida?
You won’t get a second chance if you miss the deadline in your case. Call our lawyers as soon as you can to preserve your right to compensation.
Contact a Fort Lauderdale Bus Accident Lawyer for a Free Consultation
Were you or a loved one injured in a Fort Lauderdale bus crash? Call an experienced Fort Lauderdale bus accident lawyer at Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers for legal advice today. Your consultation is always free, so there’s no risk to you.
Our personal injury law firm in Fort Lauderdale, FL also provides:
- Assault Injury Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Bad Faith Insurance Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Boating Accident Attorney in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Brain Injury Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Bus Accident Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Catastrophic Accident Attorney in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Car Accident Attorneys in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Child Injury Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Cruise Ship Accident Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Dog Bite Lawyers in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Electric Scooter Accident Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Lyft Accident Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Medical Malpractice Attorney in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Premises Liability Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Product Liability Attorney in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Sexual Assault Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Slip and Fall Lawyers in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Spinal Cord Injury Attorneys in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Truck Accident Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Uber Accident Attorney in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Workplace Accident Lawyers in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in Fort Lauderdale, FL