Were you recently injured as a pedestrian in Fort Lauderdale, FL? Whether you were clipped by a bicyclist on the sidewalk or struck by a car while crossing an intersection, you may have the right to recover compensation from those responsible.
The experienced Fort Lauderdale pedestrian accident lawyers at Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers are here to help you fight to maximize your financial recovery.
Table of Contents
How Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers Can Help You After a Pedestrian Accident in Fort Lauderdale
Even though you may have the right to recover compensation for your medical bills, lost wages, and suffering, getting money in your hands is often an uphill battle. Those responsible for causing a pedestrian accident won’t be eager to accept responsibility. Insurance companies will work hard to find a way to deny your claim or, at the very least, minimize your payout.
Hiring an experienced Fort Lauderdale personal injury attorney to represent you and advocate on your behalf can make a world of difference.
At Hollander Law Firm, we’ve been advocating on behalf of accident victims in Fort Lauderdale and across South Florida for more than 28 years. During that time, we’ve negotiated life-changing settlements and won sizable jury awards in court for our clients.
If you’ve been hurt in a pedestrian accident, you can trust that the full force of our law firm will be working to achieve those same results for you.
- Provide you with compassionate and transparent legal advice and support throughout the process
- Conduct a thorough investigation into the circumstances that led to and caused your traffic accident
- Enlist the aid of experts and specialists, including accident reconstructionists and medical professionals, as we work to build a strong claim on your behalf
- Help you make the tough decisions – like whether to accept a settlement offer or have our accomplished trial lawyers litigate your case in court
Give our personal injury attorneys in Fort Lauderdale a call to learn more. There’s no charge for your first consultation.
Fort Lauderdale, FL: Pedestrian Accident Statistics
When it comes to pedestrian accidents, the state of Florida leads the nation. And, Fort Lauderdale and surrounding towns are a huge reason for that.
Statistics show that the Fort Lauderdale area is the 14th most dangerous in the United States for pedestrians. Just how common are pedestrian accidents in Fort Lauderdale?
The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles breaks down accident statistics by county.
In 2019, there were 1,083 pedestrian accidents reported in Broward County. Back in 2013, there were 990 traffic accidents involving pedestrians. In just a few short years, the number of pedestrian accidents has increased significantly – nearly 10 percent.
Since pedestrians don’t benefit from the protection of a passenger vehicle, helmet, or other safety gear, accidents involving those on foot tend to do a lot of harm. Most pedestrian accidents result in catastrophic injury and/or death.
In 2019, motor vehicle accidents in Broward County caused 67 pedestrian deaths. That accounts for nearly one out of every 10 fatal pedestrian accidents in the Sunshine State.
Pedestrians Involved in Fort Lauderdale Car Accidents Often Sustain Debilitating Injuries
At Hollander Law Firm, we’ve been representing pedestrian and car accident victims in Fort Lauderdale for nearly three decades. We’ve seen, first-hand, just how devastating an auto accident can be for pedestrians.
Often, pedestrians we represent are struggling with painful, debilitating injuries, such as:
- Traumatic brain injury
- Head and face injury
- Spinal cord damage
- Crushing injury
- Deep vein thrombosis (DVT)
- Lacerations and cuts
- Damage to internal organs
In some cases, injuries sustained in a pedestrian accident are simply too severe for the victim to survive.
When that happens, our law firm is there to help grieving family members pick up the pieces with a wrongful death lawsuit.
Why Are There So Many Pedestrian Accidents in Fort Lauderdale, FL?
On an average day in Broward County, there are anywhere between 2 and 3 accidents involving pedestrians. These accidents tend to take place in busy urban parts of the county, like Fort Lauderdale.
Busy intersections, in particular, are a huge problem.
- A1A and Las Olas
- Sunrise Boulevard and Andrews Avenue
- NE 26th Street and Federal Highway (U.S. 1)
In truth, any intersection can be dangerous for a pedestrian. Often, motorists of larger vehicles navigate these crossroads aggressively. Many speed through to beat red or yellow lights, and it’s all too common to be distracted by a cell phone or electronic device. Sadly, many drivers are also simply unaware of local traffic laws, and don’t understand when they have an obligation to yield the right of way.
Liability for Fort Lauderdale Pedestrian Accidents and Resulting Injuries
Whether you’re struck by a car or hit by debris that’s catapulted in your direction from a nearby motor vehicle accident, you may have the right to file an injury claim and demand compensation for your injuries. In Florida, anyone who owed you a duty of care and contributed to the pedestrian accident can be on the hook, so to speak, for your damages.
Potentially liable parties could include:
- Negligent motorists
- Truck drivers
- Electric scooter operators
- Uber and Lyft drivers
- Employers of negligent parties
- Government agencies
- Transit companies
- Companies responsible for defective safety equipment or vehicle components
There are times when a pedestrian will contribute to an accident, too. Under Florida’s modified comparative fault system, if they were 50% or less at fault, the pedestrian’s financial award would be reduced in direct proportion to their degree of blame. However, if the pedestrian’s share of fault exceeds 50%, they’ll be prevented from recovering compensation from the other party.
For instance, if you were walking across the street and texting, you might not see a car racing through the intersection. You and the driver of the vehicle could both be apportioned some of the blame for your actions. Let’s say you sustain $100,000 in damages and are apportioned 30 percent of the blame. You’d be able to recover, at most, $70,000 from the negligent motorist (or, more specifically, their insurance company).
How Much is My Pedestrian Accident Case Worth?
Every injury claim is different. It will ultimately boil down to the specific facts and circumstances of your case. This can include the extent and severity of your injuries, whether you’re permanently disabled or unable to work, and the emotional toll the accident takes on you.
The more debilitating your injuries and the more severe your emotional distress, the more your case will be worth.
At Hollander Law Firm, we always strive to demand and recover the full value of all damages that are available under state law.
If you’ve been hit by a car, this can include economic and non-economic awards for:
- Medical bills
- Rehabilitation and therapy
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
- Lost income and wages
- Pain and suffering
- Funeral and burial expenses, if an accident is fatal.
Our West Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale pedestrian accident attorneys will work closely with accident and injury experts to make sure that your case is valued properly. We’ll dig deep and try to really understand the extent of your suffering and how it will affect you in the future.
You Have a Limited Time to Assert Your Rights After a Pedestrian Accident in Florida
In Florida, most pedestrian accident lawsuits are subject to a strict two-year time limit. Once the statute of limitations runs out, you lose the right to file a civil personal injury claim against the responsible parties.
The state’s deadline used to provide up to four years to file a negligence-based claim. However, on March 24, 2023, the time limit was shortened. Therefore, if your pedestrian accident in Fort Lauderdale occurred after that date, you’ll likely be subject to the two-year limit.
Note, there are some exceptions to the rule. You could have additional time to file a claim if you don’t discover your injuries right away, or if the victim was a child. However, these exceptions don’t always work in your favor. For instance, you may be subject to an accelerated clock if a negligent government agency is involved.
Regardless of how much time you have to file a lawsuit, it’s important to contact an attorney as soon as you can. The sooner you ask for help, the sooner we can begin to investigate, gather evidence, and get to work on building a persuasive claim on your behalf.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Fort Lauderdale Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
Pedestrian accidents can be catastrophic. Don’t let those responsible walk away without consequence. Call Hollander Law Firm and let our Fort Lauderdale pedestrian accident lawyers fight to recover compensation on your behalf. Our law firm appreciates how much pain you’re in right now. You deserve time to get better. We’re ready to go to the mat for you and fight to maximize your financial award. Give us a call to schedule an initial consultation at no charge today.
Our personal injury law firm in Fort Lauderdale, FL also provides:
- Assault Injury Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Bad Faith Insurance Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Boating Accident Attorney in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Brain Injury Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Bus Accident Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Catastrophic Accident Attorney in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Car Accident Attorneys in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Child Injury Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Cruise Ship Accident Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Dog Bite Lawyers in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Electric Scooter Accident Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Lyft Accident Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Medical Malpractice Attorney in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Maritime Accident Attorneys in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Premises Liability Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Product Liability Attorney in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Sexual Assault Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Slip and Fall Lawyers in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Spinal Cord Injury Attorneys in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Truck Accident Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Uber Accident Attorney in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Workers’ Compensation in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Workplace Accident Lawyers in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in Fort Lauderdale, FL