Have you lost a loved one in an accident in the Fort Lauderdale area? You may be entitled to significant financial compensation for your loss. At Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers, a skilled Fort Lauderdale wrongful death lawyer can help you get the maximum compensation available. Give us a call at (954) 287-0566 to schedule your free consultation.
We know that money can’t bring your loved one back. It can, however, help you weather the financial losses. If you’re ready to learn more, contact us to schedule a free consultation today.
Table of Contents
How Can an Experienced Personal Injury Lawyer Help After a Fatal Accident?
Thousands of people are forced to grieve the loss of their loved ones because of preventable accidents every year. In a perfect world, those accidents would never happen.
People would act cautiously to prevent these losses. Unfortunately, that’s not the case.
Family members of fatal accident victims do have rights. You can hold the negligent party financially accountable for the damage they’ve caused. That money can make a huge difference in your family’s life–even as you continue to grieve. You deserve time to mourn your loss–time that can be hard to find if you’re facing a contested legal battle.
Let our experienced Fort Lauderdale personal injury lawyers take on that battle. We’ll handle every aspect of your case. For more than 25 years, we’ve devoted our practice to helping families like yours recover from unimaginable losses.
When you choose Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers, our attorneys will:
- Investigate to find out what caused your loved one’s accident
- Get the evidence necessary to make a strong claim for compensation with the insurance companies
- Stand up for your loved one when the insurance company tries to blame the victim
- Hire experts who can help put a dollar value on hard-to-value losses
- Handle all communications and negotiations with the insurance company
If you aren’t happy with your settlement offer, we’re always ready to fight for what’s fair in court. When we take on a case, we dedicate ourselves to getting justice for you. In other words, we’ll do whatever we can to get the most money possible to hold the responsible party liable for your losses.
There isn’t any risk in getting our legal advice after a wrongful death. All you have to do is call our law offices to schedule a 100% free case review with our team today.
How Common Are Fatal Accidents in Florida?
Thousands of people die in preventable fatal accidents across the state of Florida every year. In 2019, 3,210 Florida residents died in fatal motor vehicle accidents alone. Hundreds more die in fatal construction accidents each year.
Those figures don’t even begin to account for wrongful death caused by medical malpractice–which is now the third leading cause of death in the U.S.
Often, a simple precaution could have prevented the harm entirely. If you’ve lost a loved one because of someone else’s error, you deserve justice. Our lawyers will do everything we can to get every dollar you deserve to hold the negligent party responsible for your loss.
The Florida Wrongful Death Act
In Florida, certain surviving family members have the right to compensation when someone else’s actions cause the death of a loved one. Generally, you have the right to file a lawsuit if your loved one would have been able to file a personal injury lawsuit against whoever caused the accident.
In other words, if someone else’s negligence caused a fatal car accident, truck accident, or even slip and fall accident, you can hold them accountable. Your right to compensation “survives” your loved one’s death.
Who Can File an Action for Wrongful Death in Fort Lauderdale, FL?
- Blood relatives and adoptive brothers/sisters who depended upon the deceased person for financial support
The law refers to these survivors as “beneficiaries.” That’s because the personal representative of your loved one’s estate actually files the lawsuit. The surviving family members actually receive the compensation recovered in the wrongful death suit.
If the victim didn’t leave any surviving family members who qualify under Florida law, the personal representative can file a wrongful death claim on behalf of the estate. The estate then distributes those proceeds to the decedent’s loved ones in accordance with state laws.
We Handle All Types of Wrongful Death Cases
You might have a wrongful death case if someone else’s negligence caused your loved one’s accident and fatal injuries. At Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers our attorneys represent families of the victims in cases stemming from:
- Car accidents
- Trucking accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Construction accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Bus accidents/school bus accidents
- Uber/Lyft accidents
- Boating accidents
- Dog bites
- Workplace accidents
- Negligent security
- Defective products
- And more
Our personal injury attorneys know that it can hurt to uncover the details of your loved one’s accident. We also know how important fair compensation can be for your future. You shouldn’t have to handle the legal process on your own. Our lawyers at Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers will launch a full investigation into your loved one’s death.
We’ll also take care of filing your insurance paperwork and negotiating with the insurance companies. All you have to do is give us a call and tell us what happened.
Can Comparative Fault Impact My Right to Compensation?
As terrible as it sounds, the insurance company might try to blame the victim even when they aren’t around to defend themselves. It’s the insurance adjuster’s job to find a way to pay you less. If you don’t fight back, your right to compensation could be lost or limited.
Florida law limits the amount of compensation you can recover if your loved one shared the blame. However, unless your loved one was over 50% to blame, you don’t lose your right to compensation entirely.
Florida follows a modified comparative fault rule. That means every party involved is responsible for the accident in accordance with their own percentage of fault. If your loved one was 20% responsible for the accident, your damages award can be reduced by 20%. However, you’ll be barred from receiving compensation if they shared over 50% of the blame.
Sound simple enough? Unfortunately, these cases are usually anything but simple. It can be difficult to prove what happened. That’s why it’s so important to get the help of an experienced Fort Lauderdale wrongful death attorney. Our lawyers have helped countless clients in similar positions–and we’ll do everything we can to downplay your loved one’s role in the accident.
How Much Time Do I Have to Sue for Wrongful Death in Florida?
It can be difficult to focus on anything but your grief after the loss of a family member. You deserve the right to grieve. Despite this, it’s important to take legal action quickly after your loved one’s death if you want to hold the negligent party accountable.
Florida law limits the amount of time you have to file a lawsuit. This time limit is called the statute of limitations. In Florida, you have two years to file an action for wrongful death. The date of your loved one’s death starts the clock.
Our wrongful death attorneys understand that you may be barely getting by. We’re here to protect your rights and increase the odds of getting the fair compensation you deserve. Give us a call today to learn more about how a wrongful death lawyer in Fort Lauderdale can help.
What Types of Damages Are Available in a Wrongful Death Case?
Florida law spells out the types of damages you’re entitled to receive in a wrongful death case. The availability of these damages is limited based upon your relationship to the decedent. You may still be able to recover compensation for things like medical bills and lost wages–but the rules are slightly more detailed in wrongful death cases.
Surviving family members may be entitled to damages for:
- The value of your loved one’s support and services from the date of injury to the date of death, plus interest
- The future value of your loved one’s support and services
- Loss of companionship and protection
- Loss of parental companionship, guidance, and instruction for minor children
- Pain and suffering
- Medical expenses for the injury that lead to your loved one’s death
- Funeral expenses
- Lost wages and income
- Loss of future net accumulations (future lost earnings)
It’s also possible that punitive damages may be available. Punitive damages are awarded only to punish the responsible party. Punitive damages are only available if the person’s actions were intentional or especially shocking.
Get Help From a Respected Fort Lauderdale Wrongful Death Lawyer Today
Recovering financial compensation after the loss of a loved one can’t bring them back. It can give you the peace of mind of knowing that your family is financially secure. If you’re interested in learning more, the first step is speaking with an experienced Fort Lauderdale wrongful death lawyer.
At Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers, your consultation is always free. We’d be happy to arrange a meeting at your convenience–all you have to do is call our law firm to set up a time.
Our personal injury law firm in Fort Lauderdale, FL also provides:
- Assault Injury Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Bad Faith Insurance Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Boating Accident Attorney in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Brain Injury Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Bus Accident Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Catastrophic Accident Attorney in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Car Accident Attorneys in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Child Injury Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Cruise Ship Accident Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Dog Bite Lawyers in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Electric Scooter Accident Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Lyft Accident Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Medical Malpractice Attorney in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Premises Liability Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Product Liability Attorney in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Sexual Assault Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Slip and Fall Lawyers in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Spinal Cord Injury Attorneys in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Truck Accident Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Uber Accident Attorney in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Workplace Accident Lawyers in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in Fort Lauderdale, FL