At Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers our Fort Lauderdale bicycle accident lawyers are proud to fight for riders who have been injured in accidents around the city.
If this accident was the fault of another party, and you have been hurt seriously as a result of their negligence, consider taking legal action. There may be significant damages available in this case, but those damages won’t come to you.
Table of Contents
How Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers Can Help After a Bicycle Accident in Fort Lauderdale
If you’ve been hurt in a bicycle accident in Fort Lauderdale, FL, you may have the right to recover compensation from those responsible. The money you’re awarded can help to offset the costs of your medical expenses, make up for lost wages, and even compensate for your pain and suffering. Getting an experienced Fort Lauderdale personal injury lawyer involved from the start can set you up to maximize your recovery.
At Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers we’ve been fighting for injury victims and their families across Broward County, Florida for more than 28 years. During that time, we’ve negotiated million-dollar settlements and won six-figure jury verdicts on their behalf at trial. We know how much is riding on your bicycle accident injury case, and we’re ready to help you get every dollar you deserve.
Expect us to:
- Provide the legal guidance and advice that you deserve during this tough time
- Coordinate a full-scale investigation into the circumstances of your bicycle collision
- Work with experts to make determinations of fault and establish the value of your case
- Defend you when insurance companies and at-fault parties try to shift blame your way
- Handle all negotiations with other parties and fight to secure terms that are favorable to you
- Litigate your case in front of a jury, if that’s what it takes to get you the full value of your bicycle accident injury claim.
We’re here to help you after your bicycle accident in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. To get started, all you have to do is give our law office a call. Your first consultation is always free.
How Common Are Bicycle Accidents in Broward County, FL?
According to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, there were 716 traffic accidents involving bicyclists in Broward County in 2019. Of those, 13 were fatal.
In 2020, despite the fact that the nation was effectively at a standstill because of the Coronavirus pandemic, Broward County still saw a lot of bike accidents. That year, 601 bicyclists were involved in collisions in Fort Lauderdale and across other parts of Broward County. However, there were far fewer fatalities – just two bicyclists were killed in 2020.
What Are Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Fort Lauderdale?
All in all, riding a bicycle is a relatively safe activity. As long as you do your part to contribute to your own safety by wearing a helmet and following the rules of the road, you’ll be off to a good start.
So, what can happen out on the roads to cause an accident to occur?
Let’s take a look at some possibilities:
- A driver fails to stop at a light or stop sign and strikes the bicyclist who is proceeding legally across the street
- The door of a parked car is opened out into traffic and the bicycle crashes into the door without having time to react
- A driver takes a right-hand turn without checking for a bicycle traveling on the inside of the vehicle and a crash occurs
- A bicycle stops at an intersection and the vehicle behind does not stop in time, striking the bike and causing serious injuries
There are plenty of ways for a bicycle accident to occur out on the roads of Fort Lauderdale, and unfortunately, most of those instances will lead to serious injuries for the bike rider. Even a minor collision could cause extremely serious injuries simply because of the mismatch in size between an individual on a bicycle and a full-size automobile.
If you have been hurt in a bicycle accident and you would like to discuss your legal options, get in touch with Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers today for help.
We’ll Fight to Recover Compensation for Your Bicycle Accident Injuries
As mentioned above, many bicycle accidents will lead to serious and catastrophic injuries. Some of these injuries will require a long rehabilitation process, and some will be life-changing. Wearing a helmet is an important safety step for any bike rider, but there are plenty of injuries still possible even when wearing headgear.
Some commonly seen injuries after bicycle accidents include:
The injuries that are sustained in a bicycle accident will depend entirely on the circumstances of the crash and the way the rider fell to the ground. Be sure to get a complete accounting of your injuries after an accident, both so you can get treatment and so you can see proper compensation for those injuries. Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers can help you understand your rights and plan a path forward.
What Kinds of Damages Are Available Damages After a Bicycle Accident in Fort Lauderdale?
Damages are the financial reward that a victim may receive from the responsible party in an accident. There are often serious financial repercussions involved with being a victim in a serious accident, and those financial matters should not be your burden to bear.
Typically, Florida law allows bicycle accident victims to seek two types of compensatory damages after getting hurt. These include economic damages – those paid to make a victim financially whole – and non-economic damages – which are paid to compensate for losses that are more intimate and subjective.
The available damages in any given case will vary based on the circumstances of the event, but can include:
- Medical bills to pay for the costs you racked up while in the hospital and while going through rehabilitation
- Lost wages to replace the income that you missed while you were hurt and unable to work
- Pain and suffering damages to compensate you financially for having to go through this traumatic event
- Lost earning potential damages can go beyond wages you actively missed to cover what you have lost in the future as a result of the changes to your career
Speaking with Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers regarding your case is a good way to understand what damages may be on the table. Once you see what could be available, it will be up to you to decide whether or not to take legal action.
Who Could Be Liable for a Fort Lauderdale Bicycle Accident?
Anyone who contributes to a bicycle accident – directly or indirectly – can be financially responsible for the consequences. So, it’s incredibly important to conduct a thorough investigation into the circumstances surrounding your bike crash.
Potentially liable parties could include:
- Drivers of passenger vehicles on the road
- Other bicyclists
- Bus drivers
- Truck drivers
- Trucking companies
- Employers of negligent parties
- Manufacturers of defective bicycles or safety equipment
- Government agencies responsible for poor road design, inadequate bike lanes, or other hazards
You can count on our Fort Lauderdale personal injury lawyers to seek damages from anyone who played a role in your bike crash.
Can I Recover Compensation If I’m Being Blamed for a Bicycle Accident in Florida?
Florida is one of many states that’s adopted a modified comparative fault rule. What that means is simple – if you are hurt in an accident, you can still recover compensation even if you are determined to be partially at fault for the accident. You cannot recover compensation if you’re mostly to blame for your accident.
Depending on how much of the fault for the accident is assigned to you, the amount you are able to recover will be reduced. With that said, even if you do bear some responsibility under modified comparative fault, it still may be worth pursuing your case. Contact us at Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers right away to learn more and consider your options.
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit After a Bike Accident in Fort Lauderdale?
Typically, the statute of limitations that applies to bicycle accident injury lawsuits is two years. That clock begins to run the moment you’re injured or reasonably discover your bicycle injury – whichever is later.
Wrongful death lawsuits also must be filed within two years of an accident victim’s death.
There are exceptions to the deadline, but they are rare. Contact a personal injury lawyer for more information.
Hurt in a Fort Lauderdale Bicycle Accident? Get Legal Help Today
Evidence related to a bicycle accident may be hard to come by only shortly after the crash has occurred. Also, witnesses will be harder to track down as the days go by, so don’t let any more time pass without reaching out to Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers for a free case evaluation.
Whether you are ready to file a lawsuit or just want more information on your rights and what your case may be worth, our Fort Lauderdale bicycle accident attorneys are here to help.
Our personal injury law firm in Fort Lauderdale, FL also provides:
- Assault Injury Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Bad Faith Insurance Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Boating Accident Attorney in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Brain Injury Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Bus Accident Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Catastrophic Accident Attorney in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Car Accident Attorneys in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Child Injury Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Cruise Ship Accident Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Dog Bite Lawyers in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Electric Scooter Accident Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Lyft Accident Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Medical Malpractice Attorney in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Maritime Accident Attorneys in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Premises Liability Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Product Liability Attorney in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Sexual Assault Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Slip and Fall Lawyers in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Spinal Cord Injury Attorneys in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Truck Accident Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Uber Accident Attorney in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Workers’ Compensation in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Workplace Accident Lawyers in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in Fort Lauderdale, FL