Some accidents have lasting and even permanent consequences. If you or a loved one have suffered a devastating injury, a Fort Lauderdale catastrophic injury lawyer at Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers can be vital to getting the substantial compensation you deserve. Call us at 954-287-0566.
We offer all potential clients a free consultation. Contact our Fort Lauderdale law offices today to start working on a legal strategy designed to get justice for your family.
Table of Contents
You Deserve an Experienced Personal Injury Lawyer to Handle Your Catastrophic Injury Claim
The cost of treating a catastrophic injury over time can be astronomical. You’ll quickly encounter expenses that you might never have imagined. The odds that you’ll ever be able to earn a living for yourself might be slim at best. So what can you do to make ends meet?
You can turn to an experienced Fort Lauderdale personal injury lawyer for help. Violent accidents are often caused by carelessness. Careless people can be held financially responsible for their acts even if they didn’t mean to hurt anyone. A strong legal team gives you the best chance of getting the full compensation you need.
Insurance companies and defense lawyers are unlikely to show compassion even if you’ve suffered a devastating injury. They’ll use all their tricks to pay less than you deserve. You can’t afford to risk going it alone. You need a lawyer who knows how to fight back.
At Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers we’ll put the full weight of our skill to work for you. That means your lawyer will:
- Gather every piece of evidence that can be relevant to support your personal injury claim
- Locate every responsible party and demand they be held accountable for their share of your losses
- Explore every legal option for recovering compensation, including personal injury lawsuits, workers’ compensation, and insurance settlements
- Hire recognized experts who can provide insight into the cost and severity of your injuries
- Get to know you so that we can get a first-hand account of how the injury has changed your life
- Negotiate with the insurance company to get what’s rightfully yours
Our clients’ injuries are personal to us. We’re passionate about justice and accountability. When you hire us, you can expect a lawyer who goes above and beyond to get what your family needs.
Don’t take our word for it. Give us a call today to see what nearly 30 years of experience can do for you. Your consultation is completely free. We also work on a contingency basis, so you don’t have to worry about paying a lawyer unless we win.
What is a Catastrophic Injury?
A catastrophic injury is one that is serious enough to have a long-term impact on the victim. Only the most serious, debilitating injuries are classified as catastrophic. Most people with catastrophic injuries are completely unable to work while they recover. Often, a full recovery is not possible.
Examples of injuries that are serious enough to be classified as “catastrophic” include:
- Brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Hearing loss
- Loss of limbs
- Severe burns
- Severe chest injuries or vital organ damage
- Birth injuries
Catastrophic injuries can create a crushing financial burden for the victim. Medical bills alone can be enough to destabilize your family’s finances. Adding insult to injury, many catastrophic injury victims will require extensive rehabilitation or a lifetime of around-the-clock care.
Those expenses don’t even factor in the emotional trauma and lost quality of life you might be facing.
Understanding the Consequences of a Catastrophic Injury
Catastrophic injuries always have lasting consequences. The injury could fundamentally alter everything about your life. That means you could require:
- Around-the-clock nursing care
- Medical devices and prosthetics
- Permanent disability benefits if you’re unable to return to work in any capacity
- Help performing even the most basic activities of living
- Modifications to your home and vehicle
- Care in a long-term care facility
These are only a few ways the injury might diminish your quality of life.
Common Causes of Catastrophic Injuries in Fort Lauderdale, FL
Catastrophic injuries are usually caused by a serious and traumatic accident. Some of the top causes of catastrophic injuries include:
- Car accidents
- Trucking accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Commercial vehicle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Construction accidents
- Workplace accidents
- Dog bites
- Premises liability
- Boating accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Nursing home neglect and abuse
- Slip and fall accidents
- Fires and explosions
- Exposure to toxic chemicals
- Assault and violence
- Product liability
Most of these accidents are caused by simple negligence. In other words, your life has changed in an instant because someone else couldn’t be bothered to be careful.
Our personal injury attorneys at Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers know that you’re suffering right now. You’re probably angry and overwhelmed.
Let us help you regain control of the one thing you have the power to change–your financial situation. We’ll do everything we can to get justice for your family. All you have to do is call and schedule your free consultation to get the ball rolling.
What’s the Deadline For Filing a Catastrophic Injury Lawsuit?
Florida law always puts a time limit on accident victims’ right to sue for damages. The time limit depends on how and when the catastrophic injury happened. For example, you have two years to file a personal injury lawsuit if the injuries were sustained in a car accident or motorcycle accident.
If medical malpractice caused the injuries, you also have two years to sue. However, you also have the benefit of a discovery rule. Under the discovery rule, you can file a lawsuit within two years of the date you reasonably should have known about the malpractice.
The deadline is called the statute of limitations. You lose your right to sue once the relevant time frame has passed.
How Do The Shared Fault Rules in Fort Lauderdale Impact My Rights?
In Florida, your own fault doesn’t bar you from recovering compensation. The shared responsibility rule in the state of Florida lets you recover compensation from anyone whose actions contributed to your injuries. However, you can’t be mostly responsible for the injury and still recover damages.
If you were partly to blame for your own catastrophic injuries, the following rules are important:
- Your compensation award can be reduced to account for your share of the blame, so that if you were 25% responsible, your award is reduced by 25%
- You might be liable for paying damages to anyone else who was injured in the accident based on your percentage of fault
As you can probably imagine, defendants and insurance companies tend to invoke the shared fault rules whenever they can. They’ll be even more persistent if your injuries were catastrophic because of the high dollar values at risk.
Our attorneys at Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers know how to fight back. We’re always prepared for this insurance scare tactic and we’ll do everything we can to minimize your role in the accident.
Damages Available For Victims of Catastrophic Injuries in Fort Lauderdale
Victims of catastrophic injuries are generally entitled to significant compensation. Remember the definition of catastrophic injury–one that is so severe and debilitating that it will negatively impact your life for the foreseeable future.
Personal injury cases are designed to make the victim whole again, at least from a financial standpoint. That means you’re entitled to demand compensation for all of your losses. While the insurance company works to discount the value of your claim, we’ll fight to win the most compensation possible.
Our legal team will fight to recover compensation for:
- Medical bills
- Emergency room care
- Lost wages
- Future medical expenses
- Lost future earning capacity
- Physical therapy
- Long-term care
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Modifications to your home and vehicle
- Medical devices and medications
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Diminished quality of life
- Damages for wrongful death
It’s important to remember that you’re entitled to compensation for future costs, not just reimbursement for expenses you’ve already incurred. This is especially critical in catastrophic injury cases. The cost of treating your injuries could extend for years into the future. Some victims spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on medical care over the years.
Our catastrophic injury attorneys at Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers will go over your case with a fine-tooth comb. We’ll work closely with your doctors and medical experts to make sure our insurance demand fully accounts for your future costs.
Availability of Punitive Damages
Catastrophic injury victims might be entitled to punitive damages if the defendant’s actions were intentional. For example, victims of drunk driving accidents might be able to recover damages that are only meant to punish the drunk driver.
Call A Trusted Fort Lauderdale Catastrophic Injury Lawyer For a Free Case Review
After a catastrophic accident, you need a lawyer with the experience, knowledge, and dedication required to identify every possible source of compensation. When the stakes are this high, every dollar counts.
Call a Fort Lauderdale catastrophic injury lawyer at Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers to get the help you deserve. We’re standing by to take your call–and remember, it’s free to get our quality legal advice. We serve clients in Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, and across Broward County.
Our personal injury law firm in Fort Lauderdale, FL also provides:
- Assault Injury Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Bad Faith Insurance Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Boating Accident Attorney in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Brain Injury Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Bus Accident Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Catastrophic Accident Attorney in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Car Accident Attorneys in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Child Injury Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Cruise Ship Accident Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Dog Bite Lawyers in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Electric Scooter Accident Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Lyft Accident Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Medical Malpractice Attorney in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Premises Liability Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Product Liability Attorney in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Sexual Assault Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Slip and Fall Lawyers in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Spinal Cord Injury Attorneys in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Truck Accident Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Uber Accident Attorney in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Workplace Accident Lawyers in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in Fort Lauderdale, FL