It is unimaginable that nursing home residents would be victims of neglect and abuse. Unfortunately, however, nursing home neglect is widespread throughout West Palm Beach, Florida, and the nation. Nursing homes allow elderly and incapacitated residents to be neglected and abused by nursing home staff members and other individuals.
The West Palm Beach nursing home neglect lawyers of the Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers fight to protect the rights and best interests of nursing home residents. We work with clients and their families to hold long-term care facilities liable for nursing home abuse and neglect.
Table of Contents
How Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers Helps Victims of Nursing Home Neglect in West Palm Beach
Our West Palm Beach nursing home neglect attorney has over 28 years of experience handling elder abuse and nursing home neglect cases. Our law firm represents residents in nursing homes and assisted living facilities.
When nursing homes breach their duty of care, our West Palm Beach, FL legal team works to hold the parties responsible for neglect accountable for their actions. Your family member deserves to be treated with respect, kindness, and compassion. They deserve to receive care that meets or exceeds the acceptable standard of care for nursing homes and similar facilities.
When you hire the Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers to represent your loved one, you can expect us to:
- Investigate the circumstances surrounding your claim to determine what happened to your family member
- Identify the specific instances of neglect or abuse that occurred
- Gather evidence proving staff members neglected your loved one
- Identify all parties liable for your loved one’s injuries and damages
- File claims with insurance companies and nursing home operators and owners
- Monitor any criminal investigations into abuse and neglect allegations at the facility
- Obtain records and reports of past incidents of abuse and neglect involving the facility or staff members
- Prepare to file a lawsuit and argue the case in court, when necessary
Money does not undo the pain and suffering your loved one experienced. However, financial awards can help provide ongoing care for your family member. In addition, holding the individuals and facilities financially liable may deter them and others from committing similar acts.
Contact us today to schedule your free legal case review with a West Palm Beach nursing home abuse lawyer.
Examples of Elder Neglect in Florida Nursing Homes
Estimates show that at least ten percent of adults 65 years and older are victims of some type of elder abuse each year. Caregiver neglect accounts for a substantial portion of elder abuse cases.
Neglect is the failure to provide for an older adult’s basic needs. Those needs include medical care, personal hygiene, water, food, shelter, and clothing. It also includes physical and mental therapy and care.
Examples of neglect in nursing homes include, but are not limited to:
- Failing to help a patient eat and drink who cannot feed themselves
- Not dispensing medications timely and correctly
- Failing to change residents promptly if they soil themselves
- Not turning patients in beds or putting them in chairs to avoid bedsores
- Failing to provide clean clothing and linens
- Not helping residents bathe, brush their teeth, and take care of personal hygiene
- Withholding medical services and treatment
- Failing to clean rooms and common areas
- Causing mental anguish and emotional distress by ignoring, yelling, or isolating, embarrassing, or belittling a resident
- Failure to assist patients who have mobility problems and high risks for falling
- Not reporting signs of infections and illnesses to nurses, doctors, and family members
When neglect occurs, the nursing homeowners, operators, and staff members may be held civilly liable for injuries and damages they cause. They could also be held criminally liable by the state for abuse or neglect of an elderly individual.
Causes of Nursing Home Neglect in Florida
Nursing home neglect occurs for many reasons. In many cases, negligence by the nursing home or staff members causes neglect or abuse. However, intentional acts may also result in the neglect of an older adult.
Common causes of nursing home neglect include:
- Understaffing nursing homes
- Failing to conduct adequate background checks for employees
- Not providing property training and support for staff members
- Failing to review a resident’s charge to determine their needs and requirements
- Failure to supervise staff members
- Caregiver burnout or stress
- Mismanagement of the nursing home
Putting profits above the welfare of residents is a common cause of nursing home neglect. The facility hires untrained staff members who do not care about the residents.
They are underpaid and overworked, which often results in neglect. The nursing home cuts corners to save money at the expense of its residents.
Steps to Take When You Believe Your Loved One Is the Victim of Nursing Home Neglect
If you notice any signs of neglect, report the matter to the nursing home immediately. Document your conversations and interactions with the management and staff members. Gather evidence and take photographs of injuries and evidence of neglect.
If you believe your loved one is in immediate harm, call 911 for help. Demand that the facility transfer your family member to the hospital or other facility for immediate treatment. Contact an attorney as soon as possible to discuss your family member’s legal rights. There may be several options for filing claims for compensation of damages.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our West Palm Beach, FL Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers
We are here to help you and your loved one during this difficult experience. Please reach out to our office online or by telephone to speak with a member of our legal team. Our West Palm Beach nursing home neglect lawyers offer free consultations so you can get answers to your questions about neglect claims against nursing homes.