Did you or a loved one sustain injuries in a slip and fall accident in Fort Lauderdale, FL? You may be entitled to recover compensation from a negligent business or property owner. A Fort Lauderdale slip and fall accident lawyer at Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers can help you fight for money to cover your medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
Since 1996, our legal team has fought to protect the rights of accident victims across South Florida. We’ve succeeded–to the tune of tens of millions of dollars in compensation.
Table of Contents
How Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers Can Help After a Slip and Fall Accident in Fort Lauderdale
Property owners purchase insurance to provide compensation to people who slip and fall on their property. Despite that, insurance companies won’t make it easy to recover the fair compensation you deserve. A Fort Lauderdale injury lawyer can help you fight for the money you need.
At Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers, our lawyers have over 28 years of experience. We’ve been recognized by the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum and as Avvo Top Attorneys with a 10.0 rating.
With us by your side, you can rest assured that our legal team will:
- Conduct a full-scale investigation to identify the cause of your fall
- Identify all insurance coverages
- Protect you if you’re blamed for causing the accident
- Handle all insurance negotiations and communications
- Hire experts and specialists where necessary
Insurance companies often pressure victims into accepting lowball settlements before they speak with a lawyer. You don’t have to make that mistake–we aren’t afraid to stand up to the insurance company.
Call our experienced Fort Lauderdale personal injury attorneys to schedule a free initial consultation today.
How Common Are Slip and Fall Accidents in Fort Lauderdale?
Falls are the second leading cause of unintentional death worldwide. In Florida alone, falls are the leading cause of injury-related deaths and hospitalizations. In a single year, 67,860 Floridians were hospitalized with fall-related injuries. Unfortunately, 2,764 people in Florida also lost their lives in slip and fall accidents that year.
What is My Fort Lauderdale Slip and Fall Accident Case Worth?
It’s important to make sure that your settlement or verdict covers the full cost of your injuries. But you’ll have to know how much your personal injury claim is worth before accepting an insurance settlement.
The value of your case depends on many different factors, including:
- The cost of your medical treatment
- Your future treatment needs
- The amount of your lost wages and out-of-pocket expenses
- The severity of your injuries and how they impact your life
- Your prognosis
- Whether you contributed to the accident
Most property owners have insurance. The amount of insurance coverage available can also impact the amount of money you take home.
What Types of Damages Are Available to Slip and Fall Accident Victims?
An unexpected injury can put you in a difficult financial position–especially if you’re unable to work because of the injury. Florida personal injury laws give victims the right to seek compensation for their economic and non-economic losses.
Economic damages are your financial expenses and may include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Reduced earning potential
- Physical therapy
- Nursing care
Non-economic damages account for your subjective and personal losses, such as:
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Diminished quality of life
- Loss of consortium
These types of damages are designed to make accident victims whole again after an accident.
Can I Recover Damages If I’m Being Blamed for a Slip and Fall Accident in Florida?
You won’t necessarily lose your right to compensation if you contributed to your fall accident. Under Florida’s pure comparative fault laws, you can recover compensation if the property owner was also partly to blame.
However, your damages will be reduced to reflect your share of fault. For example, if you were 30% responsible for falling, you can recover 70% of your compensation from the other negligent parties.
We’ll Fight to Recover Compensation for All of Your Slip and Fall Accident Injuries
Falls are one of the leading causes of unintentional injury in Florida.
Our slip and fall accident attorneys at Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers will fight to recover fair compensation for any injuries you sustained, including:
- Brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Head and neck injuries
- Broken hips
- Knee injuries
- Wrist and hand injuries
- Facial injuries
- Back injuries
- Organ damage
- Broken bones
- Soft tissue injury
- Nerve damage
Some falls can even be fatal. If you lost a loved one, our wrongful death lawyers in South Florida can help you seek damages for funeral costs, medical bills, and more.
What Causes Most Slip and Fall Accidents in Fort Lauderdale, Florida?
We don’t have to deal with snow and ice in Fort Lauderdale–but that doesn’t mean dangerous premises don’t exist.
Some of the most common causes of slips, trips, and falls in Fort Lauderdale include:
- Uneven pavement
- Slick or slippery floors
- Puddles from accumulated rainwater
- Crumbling pavement
- Missing guardrails
- Unsecured rugs or carpets
- Debris, garbage, and other obstacles in walkways
- Loose cables or wires
- Poor lighting
- Missing stair treads
- Damaged stairs
Do you need help locating evidence to prove what caused your slip and fall accident? Call our law firm for a free case review today.
How Do I Prove Negligence After a Slip and Fall Accident in Florida?
It’s not always easy to spot dangerous conditions when you’re on someone else’s property. Under Florida premises liability laws, it’s the property owner who is responsible for maintaining their property in a reasonably safe condition. When you fall because of negligent property maintenance, you have the right to seek damages.
Despite that, property owners aren’t responsible for all fall-related injuries. They’re only financially liable if their negligence caused your injuries.
In legal terms, negligence means:
- The property owner owed you a duty of care
- A breach of duty occurred
- The breach caused your slip and fall
- You sustained damages or injuries
From a practical perspective, you’ll have to offer proof about what happened to cause your slip and fall.
That proof may include:
- Video footage
- Testimony from eyewitnesses or employees
- Photos of the accident scene
Our slip and fall lawyers in Fort Lauderdale will carefully investigate the accident scene to locate the evidence you need for your claim.
The Property Owner’s Duty of Care
It’s also important to understand the scope of the property owner’s duty of care. Business owners owe a heightened duty of care to customers, or “invitees.” That includes a duty to:
- Fix any unsafe property conditions within a reasonable amount of time
- Provide adequate warning about any hazardous conditions that can’t be fixed immediately
- Conduct regular inspections to identify any hidden dangers
Under Florida law, there’s an exception for transient foreign substances. For example, if you slipped over a spilled drink in a restaurant, the spill is a transient foreign substance. To recover compensation in these slip and fall cases, you’ll have to prove that the business owner had actual or constructive knowledge of the spill.
Constructive knowledge means:
- The spill had existed for long enough that a reasonable business owner should have known about it
- Spills happen so often in the business that the owner should have foreseen that it would happen again
Private property owners also owe a duty of care to social guests, or “licensees.” That duty is more limited. Property owners must warn licensees about any non-obvious dangers on the property. However, they aren’t required to inspect the property for hidden risks.
On the other hand, property owners don’t owe a duty to trespassers who enter the property without permission. While they can’t intentionally cause harm, they aren’t legally liable if the trespasser is injured.
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit After a Slip and Fall Accident in Florida?
Four years sounds like a long time. Keep in mind that it’ll take time to investigate your case. Your doctors will also need time to evaluate your injuries and any long-term impacts. Don’t wait to get the legal advice you deserve. Call Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers for a free initial consultation to get started today.
Contact a Fort Lauderdale Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer for a Free Consultation
You shouldn’t have to worry about getting hurt every time you visit the grocery store or dine in a restaurant. If you were injured in a slip and fall, call a Fort Lauderdale slip and fall accident lawyer at Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers for a free consultation to learn more about your rights to compensation.
Our personal injury law firm in Fort Lauderdale, FL also provides:
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Boating Accident Attorney in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Brain Injury Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Car Accident Attorneys in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Dog Bite Lawyers in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Lyft Accident Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Medical Malpractice Attorney in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Premises Liability Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Product Liability Attorney in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Slip and Fall Lawyers in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Spinal Cord Injury Attorneys in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Truck Accident Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Uber Accident Attorney in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Workplace Accident Lawyers in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in Fort Lauderdale, FL