Were you or a loved one sexually assaulted in Fort Lauderdale, FL? You may be entitled to compensation from your attacker and any party that contributed to the incident. An experienced Fort Lauderdale sexual assault lawyer at Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers can help you fight to recover compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and your personal suffering.
We’ve been committed to helping our injured clients recover the maximum compensation they deserve since we opened our doors in 1996. To date, we’ve recovered tens of millions of dollars on behalf of our clients.
You’ve already suffered an unimaginable ordeal. Get the legal advice you deserve by calling our law offices in Fort Lauderdale, Florida at (954) 287-0566 to schedule a free consultation today.
How Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers Can Help With My Sexual Assault Case in Fort Lauderdale
A sexual attack is unforgivable. The person responsible caused you unimaginable pain and suffering. You deserve any type of justice the law can offer.
Our Fort Lauderdale personal injury lawyers at Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers are ready to help you fight for that justice. We have over 28 years of experience helping injured clients like you recover the compensation they need and deserve.
We’ve been recognized for our efforts with a perfect-10 Avvo rating and countless satisfied clients.
We can’t take away your suffering, but our compassionate attorneys can help by:
- Providing sound legal guidance
- Gathering evidence to prove you’re entitled to compensation
- Identifying all parties who may be financially liable for your injuries and pain
- Assessing the value of your case
- Handling all negotiations with the insurance companies and defense lawyers
You deserve time to recover from the trauma you’ve suffered. Creating an attorney client relationship can give you that time. Our Fort Lauderdale personal injury attorneys can handle every aspect of your case. You can learn more by calling to schedule a 100% free consultation today.
How Common is Sexual Assault in Fort Lauderdale?
Research shows that about 433,648 people are sexually assaulted in the United States every year. One in every six American women is a victim of rape or attempted at some point during her lifetime. In fact, someone is sexually assaulted in the U.S. every 68 seconds.
Sexual assault is a widespread problem across the state of Florida. In 2018 alone, 11,907 forcible sex offenses were reported statewide. That includes rape, attempted rape and forcible fondling.
Unfortunately, many victims of sexual assault never report the attack. Studies show that as many as 80% of sexual assaults go unreported. More than 90% of rape victims on college campuses don’t report the crime.
Overview of Sexual Assault Laws in Florida
Sexual assault and battery is a crime in the state of Florida. If caught, your attacker can face criminal charges.
However, the criminal justice system is only concerned with punishing your attacker. While your attacker can be imprisoned and required to register as a sex offender, you may also be entitled to financial compensation for the losses you’ve suffered.
Sexual assault is an intentional tort. You also have rights to pursue justice for intentional torts in civil court. In a personal injury case, the courts are concerned with compensating victims for their losses rather than punishing defendants for criminal acts.
What is My Fort Lauderdale Sexual Assault Case Worth?
Calculating the value of a personal injury claim can be complex. You won’t have receipts or records to prove the value of your pain and suffering. Our lawyers can help.
Factors that tend to influence the value of your personal injury case include:
- The severity of your physical injuries
- The nature of the at-fault party’s acts or omissions
- The cost of your medical care and other expenses
- How the attack changed your daily life
- Whether your ability to work was impacted
Our lawyers can handle the task of calculating your case value. All you have to do is call for a free initial consultation.
What Types of Damages Are Available to Victims of Sexual Assault?
Florida personal injury laws give victims the right to recover both economic damages and non-economic damages, including:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Lost future earning potential
- Physical therapy
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Diminished quality of life
- Anxiety, depression, and PTSD
- Loss of consortium and damage to relationships
Punitive damages are designed to punish a defendant for intentional wrongdoing. Florida courts are more inclined to award them in cases involving sexual violence.
Our Fort Lauderdale Sexual Assault Lawyers Will Fight to Recover Compensation for All of Your Injuries
A violent attack can cause a wide range of injuries, including:
- Severe bruising
- Cuts and lacerations
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Broken bones
- Nerve damage
- Soft tissue damage
- Spinal cord injuries
- Head and neck injuries
- Back injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Genital injuries
- Unwanted pregnancy
- Sexually transmitted diseases
- Catastrophic injuries
- Wrongful death of a loved one
Your injuries likely extend well beyond the physical harm you’ve suffered. Our lawyers will also fight to recover fair compensation for your PTSD, anxiety, depression, and other mental health issues following an attack.
We Handle All Types of Sexual Assault Cases in Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Our lawyers handle all types of sexual assault claims in Fort Lauderdale, including those involving:
- Rape and attempted rape
- Unwanted sexual contact
- Date rape
- Statutory rape
- Domestic violence
- Rape or attempted rape on college campuses
- Muggings and robberies
- Child abuse
Regardless of the circumstances, don’t hesitate to reach out to Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers for a free case review.
Who Can Be Liable for Sexual Assault Injuries in Florida?
You’re entitled to hold your attacker liable for their intentional criminal act. You may also be entitled to compensation from someone whose negligence allowed the sexual assault to happen.
That’s surprising to many sexual assault victims. However, you can file a lawsuit against anyone whose negligent, reckless, or wrongful acts allowed your injuries to happen.
- Shopping malls
- Colleges and universities
- Nursing homes
- Parking garages
- Business owners
- Landlords and apartment complexes
- Sports complexes
- Office buildings
- Your attacker’s employer
- And more
Even if your attacker isn’t convicted, you may be entitled to damages from a negligent third party. You may also be able to recover damages from your attacker if prosecutors can’t convict.
In criminal cases, prosecutors must prove every element of the crime “beyond a reasonable doubt”. The standard is much lower in civil cases. You only have to prove your right to compensation by a “preponderance of the evidence” standard.
How Do I Prove Liability After a Sexual Assault in Florida?
Most sexual assault lawsuits that are filed in civil court are based on negligent security. Under Florida premises liability laws, property owners are required to keep their property reasonably safe. That includes a duty to take steps to prevent reasonably foreseeable criminal activity.
However, property owners are only liable if they were negligent. To prove negligence, your lawyer must establish:
- The scope of the at-fault party’s legal duty of care
- A breach of duty
- The breach allowed the attack to happen (causation)
- The amount of damages you sustained
Every property owner’s duty of care is slightly different. The security measures that will be considered “adequate” vary from case to case.
In determining whether someone failed to provide adequate security, our Fort Lauderdale sexual assault attorneys will consider:
- The type of property involved (owners of nightclubs may be required to take more serious precautions than the owner of a grocery store, for example)
- Prior criminal activity in the neighborhood
- Whether criminal activity on the property was likely to occur
Business owners can take many steps to prevent attacks. For example, they could be required to:
- Install adequate lighting
- Repair locks
- Lock gates and fences
- Hire security guards
- Install security systems and video cameras
- Respond to security alerts
- Train employees to recognize and respond to criminal activity
If someone else caused your attack, they should be held accountable. You can trust our Fort Lauderdale sexual abuse lawyers to help you get the maximum compensation you need. Just call for a free case evaluation today.
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit After a Sexual Assault in Florida?
Florida state law limits the amount of time you have to take legal action. The statute of limitations usually gives you four years to file a personal injury lawsuit. However, you could have more time if your attacker is facing criminal charges. In these cases, your statute of limitations may be paused until the criminal case is resolved.
Contact a Fort Lauderdale Sexual Assault Lawyer for a Free Consultation
Were you or a loved one a victim of unwanted sexual activity in Palm Beach Gardens, Boca Raton or Fort Lauderdale? You deserve justice. An experienced Fort Lauderdale sexual assault lawyer at Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers can help you hold all responsible parties accountable. To learn more, please contact us for a free consultation today.
Our personal injury law firm in Fort Lauderdale, FL also provides:
- Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Boating Accident Attorney in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Brain Injury Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Car Accident Attorneys in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Dog Bite Lawyers in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Lyft Accident Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Medical Malpractice Attorney in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Premises Liability Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Product Liability Attorney in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Slip and Fall Lawyers in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Spinal Cord Injury Attorneys in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Truck Accident Lawyer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Uber Accident Attorney in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Workplace Accident Lawyers in Fort Lauderdale, FL
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in Fort Lauderdale, FL