Swimming Pool Accidents
Total: 479 Victims Under 5 years old
- 48 drown in a swimming pool (71%)
- 10 drown in open water (15%)
- 7 drown in a bath tub (10%)
- 222 drown in open or natural water (56 percent)
- 71 drown in swimming pools (18 percent)
- More than 418,000 of Florida’s 1 million swimming pools are located in South Florida.
Miami–Dade County 76,477
Broward County 113,157
Palm Beach County 101,463
Monroe County 4,668
Lee County 62,481
Collier County 34,854
Charlotte County 25,334
Sources: Florida Department of Health; Florida County Property Appraisers.
Dealing with the drowning death of a loved one is a tragedy borne by far too many South Florida families.
More people die from drowning in Florida than anywhere else in the country and the victim is often a child. Several preschool classrooms could be filled each year with small children who die in Florida drowning accidents before their 5th birthday, according to the Florida Department of Health.
South Florida Injury Attorney Gregg Hollander is a veteran trial lawyer who has successfully fought for the rights of thousands of clients during two decades of representing accidents victims throughout South Florida.
At the Hollander Law Firm, we have aggressively fought some of the state’s largest corporations, hospitals and insurance companies on behalf of our clients and are experienced in fighting for the rights of families dealing with a serious or fatal swimming pool accident.
A total of 479 people died in Florida drowning accidents in 2008 and another 380 were hospitalized in near–drowning incidents. Tragically, many South Florida swimming pool accidents involve small children, and occur under the watch of a relative, neighbor or trusted friend.
If you need to speak to a drowning accident lawyer, contact the Hollander Law Firm today for a free and confidential appointment to discuss your rights. The Hollander Law Firm represents clients injured in swimming pool and drowning accidents throughout South Florida, including Miami, Naples, Fort Lauderdale, Fort Myers and Boca Raton.
Nationwide, more than 3,500 people a year die in drowning accidents, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The Florida Department of Health reports that the average medical bill in a near–drowning was more than $10,000 in 2008 and the average hospital stay was two days.
In addition, near–drowning accidents can cause brain damage and other medical complications that are not always readily apparent. An injury lawyer experienced in swimming pool accidents or near–drowning accidents can often help families protect their rights and their financial well–being in the wake of a submersion or near–drowning accident.POOL SAFETY LAW
Preston de Ibern / McKenzie Merriam Residential Swimming Pool Safety Act
All new residential swimming pools, hot tubs, and spas are required by law to have one or more of these four safety measures:
- 4–foot barrier around the entire pool
- Approved pool cover
- Pool entrances must have self–closing and self–locking devices
- Alarms are required for all doors and windows in a home with direct access to the pool area.
South Florida swimming pool accidents and drowning accidents handled by the Hollander Law Firm include:
- Unsupervised child drowning
- Child drowning in pool lacking proper safety barriers
- Swimming pool drain accident and injuries
- Diving accidents
- Swimming pool injuries involving head injuries, traumatic brain injuries or spinal cord injuries
- Boating accidents
- Personal watercraft or jet ski accidents
- Accidents on a rented boat
- Fisher Charter accidents
- Ferry Boat accidents
- Tourist boat or sightseeing accidents
- Canoeing or kayaking accidents
- Beach drownings
- Hotel pool drownings
- Spa accidents and injuries
If your family is dealing with the serious injury or death of a loved one in a South Florida swimming pool accident or drowning accident, contact the Hollander Law Firm today for a free and confidential appointment to discuss your rights. There are never any fees or costs associated with representing you unless we are successful in making a financial recovery on behalf of you and your family.