Did your child experience an injury at birth in West Palm Beach, FL? If so, our West Palm Beach birth injury lawyers at Hollander Law Firm, P.A., can help your family get the justice and financial resources you all deserve.
Hollander Law Firm, P.A. has been helping families recover compensation for birth injuries for decades. We’ve helped our clients obtain life-changing compensation when they needed it most. Let us help you and your child.
We offer a 100% free consultation, and you pay nothing unless we are able to secure a financial package for you. Contact our West Palm Beach law office today or give us a call at 561-556-7873 to speak with our experienced legal team.
How Hollander Law Firm, P.A., Can Help After a Birth Injury in West Palm Beach, FL
At Hollander Law Firm, P.A., we know how devastating a birth injury can be for your child and family. These injuries can affect the course of your child’s life. You may even need compensation to cover medical bills and other expenses related to their injury. Our West Palm Beach personal injury lawyers can help.
Hollander Law Firm, P.A., has been helping injury victims and families in West Palm Beach, Florida, for almost 30 years. We’ve recovered millions of dollars on their behalf, helping them to move forward with their lives after their accident. We have achieved particular triumphs in medical malpractice cases, earning us recognition as Top 25 Medical Malpractice Lawyers.
Our winning record and extensive experience with birth injury cases make us a major asset for your famil
Here are just a few reasons you should enlist our services:
- We operate on a contingency fee model, so you pay nothing for our services unless we win.
- Our team will gather and carefully review evidence, including hospital records, surveillance footage, and eyewitness statements from medical staff in the birthing room.
- We consult with leading medical experts in South Florida to strengthen your case
- Our firm knows how to handle negotiations with insurance firms and opposing counsel to get you the highest possible settlement or other outcome.
- We are not afraid to take your case to a jury and fight for you in the courtroom.
Let us do the heavy lifting so you can focus on your family. Call our West Palm Beach medical malpractice lawyers for a free consultation today.
Overview of Birth Injuries in the United States
Unfortunately, birth injuries are far too common in the United States. According to the CDC, eeven out of every 1,000 births result in birth injuries. About one-fifth of all infant deaths are caused by birth injuries.
When you take into account the hundreds of thousands of births across the country every day, the magnitude becomes clear.
Most of these injuries could have been avoided but for someone’s negligence—typically hospital staff such as doctors, nurses, or other medical professionals in the birthing room.
What Are Some Common Causes of Birth Injuries?
While the causes of birth injuries vary, below are the more common causes we have seen in our practice:
- Breech: An improperly positioned child can cause complications and significant damage; the technique to deliver the child with minimal consequences is delicate and requires competence.
- Irregular Pelvis: A uniquely shaped pelvis or birth canal can cause problems during delivery.
- Hemorrhaging: Hemorrhaging results in blood clotting immediately following delivery, possibly leading to death.
- Undetected conditions: Some conditions can take four months or more to diagnose. Conditions like Cholestasis, Strep B, Diabetes, and Low Birth Weight are often missed and can unexpectedly raise complications down the road.
- Home births: Nearly 40% of home births result in hospital visits for first time moms due to the various issues that arise. Doulas who assist with home births are sometimes not registered nurses and may lack the skills in case of an emergency. There may also be a lack of adequate equipment in the event of complications.
- Delivering late: Decrease or increase in your child’s heart rate could potentially be an indication of fetal distress. Risk is elevated if delivery occurs too late.
- Medication: Antibiotics may be required during labor in the event of any late term issue. Simple measures such as an IV antibiotic can prevent infections. If Strep B goes untreated, it can give rise to spinal meningitis.
If someone’s negligence caused your child to suffer a birth injury, you need to move quickly. Every second counts when it comes to medical malpractice claims. Holding the responsible people accountable and getting the resources you need is our highest priority.
Call us at Hollander Law Firm, P.A., today so we can begin making a strong case on behalf of you and your child.
Hollander Law Firm, P.A. Will Fight for Compensation for All Your Child’s Birth Injuries
Birth injuries are generally defined as injuries that happen during the birthing process.
We fight for compensation when a negligent medical provider causes your child to suffer:
- Caput succedaneum
- Cerebral palsy
- Brachial plexus injuries
- Brain damage and brain injuries
- And more
These injuries can be terrifying and life-altering. Call Hollander Law Firm, P.A., today to hold the negligent parties accountable.
What Compensation Can I Expect After a Birth Injury in West Palm Beach, FL?
The amount of compensation you are likely to receive in a birth injury case depends on a host of factors. According to one study, the average settlement for medical malpractice claims involving children under one-month-old was $1,000,000. However, your child’s damages will depend on their unique injuries and circumstances.
In personal injury cases like a birth injury, there are two categories of awards available: economic damages and non-economic damages.
Economic damages, also referred to as special damages, compensate for financial losses related to the injury itself.
- Present medical care
- Future medical procedures
- In-home nursing assistance
- Rehabilitation sessions and equipment
- Special education
- Physical therapy
- Loss of future earnings
Non-economic compensation, also called general damages, refers to losses that are less tangible and more difficult to calculate in terms of dollar amounts.
These damages could include:
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Emotional distress
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of limbs
Damages in a birth injury case can be substantial. Children, especially infants, are highly susceptible to long-term developmental issues after an injury. Accordingly, a negligent medical provider may be on the hook for your child’s significant damages.
How Do I Prove Liability for My Child’s Birth Injury in West Palm Beach, Florida?
Many (but not all) birth injuries are preventable. If a medical provider caused your child’s birth injury, you can hold them liable through a medical malpractice claim.
Medical malpractice is a subset of negligence and requires proof that:
- The medical provider owed you and your child a duty of care
- The provider breached this duty
- The breach caused your child’s injury
- You and your child suffered damages
Medical negligence is a highly complex area of law. These cases require expert medical testimony to prove the medical professional failed to provide the proper standard of care.
At Hollander Law Firm, P.A., our West Palm Beach medical malpractice attorneys work with leading medical experts in South Florida. We will consult with these specialists to help the at-fault party’s liability. We will also conduct our own investigation to gather evidence showing their negligence.
Contact our law firm today to get legal advice concerning your medical malpractice claim.
Statute of Limitations for West Palm Beach Birth Injury Cases
You have a limited amount of time to file your claim. In Florida, the statute of limitations for medical malpractice cases is two years from the date of the incident. If you miss the deadline, you risk losing out on compensation.
Cases involving child injuries may delay, or “toll,” the statute of limitations. Likewise, it might be extended if you didn’t discover your child’s birth injury right away.
Call our West Palm Beach birth injury lawyers today to get started. We will ensure you meet all relevant filing deadlines and preserve your claim for compensation.
Contact Our West Palm Beach Birth Injury Lawyers Now
Birth injuries can affect your child’s life right as it starts. Money won’t erase their injury, but it can help your family recover compensation for financial losses related to the incident.
Give Hollander Law Firm, P.A. a call to speak with our West Palm Beach birth injury lawyers. Remember, the initial consultation is free, and you pay nothing until we secure a financial payment for you.