Have you been hurt in a slip and fall accident? If the fall happened on someone else’s property, a West Palm Beach slip and fall accident lawyer can help you get compensation for medical bills, lost wages, and more.
Our experienced personal injury attorneys at Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers offer a free consultation so you can get the legal advice you need without the risk. If you’re ready to learn more, call (561)-556-7873, or contact our West Palm Beach law offices online to schedule a free case review today.
Table of Contents
How Will a Personal Injury Lawyer in West Palm Beach Help With My Injury Claim?
Some things in life are simply out of our hands. When you step onto someone else’s property, you give up control over certain things. You don’t have any information about how the property owner maintains the property. When you’re going about your business, it’s easy to miss the simple things that can create serious hazards.
That’s why property owners in Florida are legally obligated to keep their property in safe condition. When they find something dangerous, they have to put up adequate warnings to alert invited visitors about the risk.
Unfortunately, it’s not at all uncommon for property owners to neglect these duties. If you’re hurt as a result, you can file an injury claim to hold them accountable. Even though you have legal rights, that’s rarely the end of the story. The insurance company isn’t going to hand over a fair settlement without a fight.
That’s why you need an experienced West Palm Beach personal injury lawyer who knows how to fight back. Calling Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers for help means you’ll have a lawyer in your corner to:
- Gather the proof you need to demand compensation from the property owner’s insurance company
- Engage experts and specialists whose expertise will strengthen your slip and fall case
- Defend you when the property owner tries to blame you for the accident
- Negotiate with insurance companies when they try to pay less than you deserve
- Advocate for your rights in civil court if necessary
We’ll help you avoid the simple mistakes that can hurt your case. If you don’t know what your claim is worth, you could demand too little. That means you could wind up paying for part of your medical bills out-of-pocket. That’s why we’ll carefully evaluate your unique circumstances to demand the most possible compensation.
Our lawyers have been negotiating fair deals with aggressive insurance companies for years. We know the tricks they’ll try to minimize their own financial exposure. We aren’t impressed.
When you’re ready to start fighting for the compensation you deserve, we’re here to help. Just give us a call to discuss your legal options.
Who Can Be Held Responsible for Slip and Fall Accidents in South Florida?
Florida premises liability laws apply to all property owners. Owners of both private property and public establishments have to follow the rules. However, the rules are slightly different depending upon why you were on the property to begin with. Visitors are divided into three categories under Florida law: invitees, licensees, and trespassers.
Property owners only owe trespassers the benefit of not intentionally harming them. The rules are more complex for those lawfully present on the property.
Who Qualifies As An Invitee?
An invitee is someone who is on the premises to conduct business. When you visit a grocery store or restaurant, you’re an invitee. Business owners have a higher duty of care toward invitees.
They’re required to:
- Fix any hazardous conditions on the property
- Provide adequate warning if they can’t fix the danger right away
- Inspect the property to identify any hidden dangers
Business owners who fail to live up to their end of the bargain can be held liable when their customers are hurt as a result.
Duty of Care Toward Licensees
A licensee is a social guest. Property owners have a duty to warn social guests of any dangers they know about. While they’re obligated to fix dangers they know about, they don’t have a duty to inspect the property to uncover hidden hazards.
Still, you can file a claim with your host’s homeowner’s insurance company if you’re hurt because the property owner fails to satisfy their more limited duties.
Slip, Trips, and Falls on Slick Floors
The rules become a little more complicated when you slip and fall on a slippery floor inside a business. The state of Florida recognizes that sometimes slip and falls happen before the property owner can reasonably clean the spill. So, proving liability in these cases can be a bit more complex.
At Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers, our slip and fall attorneys are up for the task. We’ll work to show that the business owner had actual or constructive knowledge of the danger.
We can prove constructive knowledge by showing:
- The type of spill happens so often that the business owner should have foreseen it happening again
- The condition was left for so long that they reasonably should have known about it and taken steps to remove the danger
Every case is different. Sometimes, we can look at video surveillance to find proof that the spill had been there for a long time. In other cases, we’ll interview witnesses and employees to get the evidence we need.
We Handle All Types of Slip and Fall Accident Cases in West Palm Beach, FL
Millions of people are treated in hospitals for fall-related injuries every year. In fact, the Center for Disease Control (CDC) found that over 3 million older Americans are hospitalized for slip and fall injuries every year.
Of course, not all of those accidents happen on someone else’s property. Regardless, the data doesn’t lie: the risk of a slip and fall is present everywhere we go. At Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers, our lawyers can help if you were hurt in a slip and fall accident at a:
- Grocery store
- Amusement park
- Big box store
- Apartment complex
- Shopping mall
- Government building
- Office building
- College campus
Property owners can also be held responsible for slips and falls that happen in parking lots, sidewalks, and parking structures.
Common Causes of Slip, Trip, and Fall Accidents in West Palm Beach
We might not have to deal with snow and ice here in West Palm Beach. Unfortunately, the risk of slipping and falling doesn’t go away with warmer weather.
Some of the most common causes of slip and fall accidents exist here in Florida, and include:
- Crumbling or broken stairs
- Loose wires or cords
- Uneven pavement
- Improperly secured carpets or floor mats
- Accumulated rainwater
- Slick floors
- Inadequate lighting
- Missing or loose stairway railings
- Debris, garbage, and other obstacles
These types of things can be hard to see–especially if you’re shopping or enjoying an evening out in a restaurant. That’s why it’s the owner’s duty to take steps to keep you safe.
We Fight to Get Full Compensation For All Slip and Fall Accident Injuries
Never underestimate the damage a simple slip and fall can cause. Our lawyers can help recover fair compensation if you sustained:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Head and neck injuries
- A broken hip or broken shoulder
- Spinal cord damage
- Back injuries
- Nerve damage
- Broken bones
- Joint injuries
- Catastrophic injuries
- Wrongful death of a loved one
You could be facing a long road to recovery if you were hurt in a slip and fall. Give us a call today to learn more about how we can fight for the financial help you need.
Time is Limited
The Florida statute of limitations was recently changed for most personal injury cases. The default deadline is two years if your accident happened on or after March 24th, 2023, and it is four years if your accident occurred prior to that date. If you lost a loved one, the law gives you two years to file an action for wrongful death.
Once the clock runs out, you can lose your right to compensation entirely. There are exceptions to these rules, so reach out to our office for help confirming the deadline that applies to your situation.
Can I Recover Damages if I Was Partly to Blame?
You can recover damages if at least one other person was also mostly responsible. Florida’s modified comparative fault rules divide liability proportionately among anyone who shares blame. If you’re allocated blame, your financial award will be reduced in direct proportion to your share of fault. The state also has what is called a “51% rule,” which means you’ll be barred from recovering damages if you share most of the blame.
However, this also means you can hold multiple parties accountable if more than one person contributed to the cause of your slip and fall.
Damages Available For West Palm Beach Slip and Fall Accident Victims
Florida personal injury law gives injured victims the right to be made “whole” again after any accident, whether it’s a car accident or a slip and fall.
That means you may be entitled to money for:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Future medical expenses
- Diminished earning potential
- Rehabilitative care
- Nursing care
- Long-term care
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Damages for wrongful death
Our slip and fall lawyers will work with respected experts to get the most possible compensation for you.
Call a Skilled West Palm Beach Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer for Help
If you’re looking for an experienced West Palm Beach slip and fall accident lawyer to stand up for you, you’re in the right place. Give Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers a call to schedule a 100% free consultation with a personal injury lawyer you can trust. We’re always ready to take your call.
Our personal injury law firm in West Palm Beach, FL also provides:
- Amputation Injury Lawyers in West Palm Beach, FL
- Assault Injury Lawyers in West Palm Beach, FL
- Aviation Accident Attorney in West Palm Beach, FL
- Bad Faith Insurance Lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL
- Bicycle Accident Attorneys in West Palm Beach, FL
- Birth Injury Lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL
- Boating Accident Attorney in West Palm Beach, FL
- Brain Injury Lawyers in West Palm Beach, FL
- Bus Accident Attorney in West Palm Beach, FL
- Catastrophic Injury Lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL
- Car Accident Attorneys in West Palm Beach, FL
- Catastrophic Injuries Lawyers in West Palm Beach, FL
- Child Injury Attorneys in West Palm Beach, FL
- Construction Accident Lawyers in West Palm Beach, FL
- Cruise Ship Accident Lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL
- Dog Bite Lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL
- Electric Scooter Attorney In West Palm Beach, FL
- Lyft Accident Attorney in West Palm Beach, FL
- Maritime Accident Lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL
- Mass Transit Accident Attorney in West Palm Beach, FL
- Medical Malpractice Lawyers in West Palm Beach, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Attorney in West Palm Beach, FL
- Negligent Security Lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL
- Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers in West Palm Beach, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL
- Premises Liability Attorney in West Palm Beach, FL
- Product Liability Attorney in West Palm Beach, FL
- Recreational Vehicle Accident Attorney in West Palm Beach, FL
- Sexual Assault Lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL
- Spinal Cord Injury Attorney in West Palm Beach, FL
- Taxi Accident Lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL
- Train Accident Lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL
- Truck Accident Attorney in West Palm Beach, FL
- Uber Accident Lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL
- Worker’s Compensation Attorney in West Palm Beach, FL
- Workplace Accidents Lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in West Palm Beach, FL