Dog bite injuries often prove to be more serious than you might initially think. If you suffered a dog bite injury in West Palm Beach, FL, you may have the right to compensation for medical bills, pain and suffering, and more.
With more than 28 years of experience, we’ve already helped countless clients recover millions in compensation for their losses. If you or your child were injured from a dog bite, contact our West Palm Beach law office near you today or call (561)-556-7873 to find out how we can help. Your initial consultation is always 100% free of charge.
Table of Contents
How Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers Can Help After a Dog Bite in West Palm Beach
Florida dog bite laws can be complex. If you were seriously hurt, navigating a difficult legal battle might seem overwhelming or impossible. Filing an insurance claim alone likely won’t get you everything you deserve, and the insurance company will put up a fight.
Hiring an experienced West Palm Beach personal injury attorney can free you up to recover. It’s also the best way to make sure you’re getting the full compensation available in your case.
Injury victims only have one chance to file an insurance demand for compensation. If you don’t know what your injury is really worth, it can be tough to get a fair settlement. At Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers, we have more than 28 years of experience helping clients like you.
When you hire us, your lawyer will:
- Investigate to identify responsible parties and determine causation
- Use all available legal theories to maximize your compensation award
- Fight back if the owner tries to blame you for provoking the dog
- Handle all communications and negotiations with the insurance companies
Getting back on your feet after an injury isn’t easy. Our West Palm Beach personal injury attorneys are here to help in any way we can. Call our law offices in West Palm Beach, Florida, today for more information about our practice and how we can help.
How Common Are Dog Bites in West Palm Beach?
Center for Disease Control (CDC) research shows that about 4.5 million Americans are bitten by dogs each year. While many of these bites cause only minor injuries, some victims aren’t so lucky. In Florida alone, over 1,200 people submit dog bite claims to insurance companies for compensation each year.
Over 600 Florida residents are hospitalized for dog bite injuries annually – and an average of two victims lose their lives.
The risk for dog bites is generally highest among:
- Children under the age of six years old
- Boys between the ages of six and 14
Children under the age of 10 are also much more likely to be bitten in the head or neck. While any breed of dog can cause damage, chihuahuas, pitbulls, and bulldogs are the breeds that are most likely to bite.
What is My West Palm Beach Dog Bite Case Worth?
The amount of your settlement award will depend heavily on the severity of your injuries. However, the value of your case can also be influenced by other factors.
Every case is unique, and the following questions are important in determining how much your dog bite case is worth:
- What types of medical attention will you need?
- How much income will you lose while you recover?
- Will your future earning potential be impacted?
- Did the dog bite impact you emotionally and psychologically?
- Did the dog attack cause any permanent damage?
Calculating pain and suffering damages in a personal injury lawsuit can be especially complex. Our West Palm Beach dog bite attorneys are ready to fight for the maximum available compensation. All you have to do is call to get started.
What Types of Damages Are Available to Dog Bite Victims?
Like car accident victims, dog bite victims can receive economic damages to reimburse them for any out-of-pocket financial losses. They can also recover non-economic damages to make up for the emotional toll the attack and injuries caused.
Common examples of economic damages include:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Future medical expenses
- Lost future earning capacity
- Physical therapy
- Nursing care
Non-economic damages often include:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Diminished quality of life
- Loss of consortium
While you’re entitled to fair compensation, you won’t receive it automatically. You’ll have to establish the value of your injury claim. Our dog attack lawyers in West Palm Beach can bring in experts and specialists to help us prove your losses.
If you were hurt, you don’t have to handle your injury claim alone. Call our top-rated legal team for help getting the money you need and deserve.
Can I Recover Damages If I’m Being Blamed for a Dog Bite Injury in Florida?
A dog bite victim’s compensation award might be reduced if the owner can prove the victim’s actions contributed to the injury. In other words, if the dog owner can prove that you provoked the dog, you can be held partly responsible for your own injuries.
That doesn’t necessarily mean you’re barred from recovering any damages. Under Florida’s modified comparative fault system, you can recover compensation as long as you weren’t mostly responsible.
We’ll Fight to Recover Compensation for All of Your Dog Bite Injuries
Some dog bite injuries leave serious puncture wounds. The true damage can be much more extensive than the bite itself. Some dogs have the force to knock the victim down–especially if that victim was a child.
At Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers, we’ll fight to recover fair compensation for all of your dog bite injuries, which might include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Cuts and lacerations
- Spinal cord injuries
- Head and neck injuries
- Back injuries
- Broken bones
- Loss of limbs
- Wrongful death
The most serious dog bite injuries can even prove to be catastrophic or fatal. If you or a loved one are suffering after a dog bite or animal attack, call Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers for help today. We’ll fight to get the fair compensation you deserve.
What Causes Most Dog Bites in West Palm Beach, Florida?
Dogs and animals can attack for any number of reasons.
Studies tend to show that dogs often bite because the dog:
- Feels threatened
- Is protecting something
- Was scared or startled
- Isn’t feeling well
- Becomes overly excited while playing
Owners can be held responsible regardless of why a dog might bite.
How Do I Prove Negligence After a Dog Bite in Florida?
In other words, dog owners can be held responsible for damages under Florida’s dog bite law if:
- The dog bites another person
- The victim was in a public place or lawfully on private property
Some states give dogs one “free” bite–so that dog owners aren’t responsible for damages if the dog had never bitten before. There is no “one bite rule” in Florida. Dog owners can be held liable for damages even if they had no prior knowledge that the dog was vicious or aggressive.
However, this rule only applies if a dog bite causes the injuries. There are many other ways a dog can cause injuries. If you were hurt under different circumstances, you may be required to prove negligence to recover compensation.
For example, Florida law allows an owner to escape strict liability by displaying a “bad dog” sign in a prominent location on private property.
Proving negligence can be tricky in dog bite cases. Negligence means that the owner failed to exercise reasonable caution under the circumstances.
In legal terms, it requires proof of:
- The owner’s legal duty of care
- A breach of that duty
- The breach caused your injuries
- The actual damages you suffered
Animal owners who fail to keep their dogs restrained on a leash may be liable for negligence per se if they’ve violated the Palm Beach County leash laws. Owners can also be held liable for damages caused by a dog that has been classified as a dangerous dog under Florida law.
How Long Do I Have to File a Lawsuit After a Dog Bite in Florida?
Most dog bite victims have either two or four years to file a personal injury lawsuit due to a recent change in the law. THe two-year limitation is for incidents taking place on or after 3/24/2023, and the four-year limitation applies to incidents that occurred before that date. The statute of limitations might be longer or shorter, depending on the facts. For example, if the dog bite was fatal, the victim’s family has only two years to sue for wrongful death. Don’t take a chance and lose your right to compensation because of a technicality.
Call our law offices right away if you were hurt.
Contact a West Palm Beach Dog Bite Lawyer for a Free Consultation
Our attorneys at Hollander Law Firm Accident Injury Lawyers are here to help if a dog hurt or bit you or your child. If you’d like to learn more about how we’ll fight to recover fair compensation for your family, call an experienced West Palm Beach dog bite lawyer for a free consultation today.
Our personal injury law firm in West Palm Beach, FL also provides:
- Amputation Injury Lawyers in West Palm Beach, FL
- Assault Injury Lawyers in West Palm Beach, FL
- Aviation Accident Attorney in West Palm Beach, FL
- Bad Faith Insurance Lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL
- Bicycle Accident Attorneys in West Palm Beach, FL
- Birth Injury Lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL
- Boating Accident Attorney in West Palm Beach, FL
- Brain Injury Lawyers in West Palm Beach, FL
- Bus Accident Attorney in West Palm Beach, FL
- Catastrophic Injury Lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL
- Car Accident Attorneys in West Palm Beach, FL
- Catastrophic Injuries Lawyers in West Palm Beach, FL
- Child Injury Attorneys in West Palm Beach, FL
- Construction Accident Lawyers in West Palm Beach, FL
- Cruise Ship Accident Lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL
- Electric Scooter Attorney In West Palm Beach, FL
- Lyft Accident Attorney in West Palm Beach, FL
- Maritime Accident Lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL
- Mass Transit Accident Attorney in West Palm Beach, FL
- Medical Malpractice Lawyers in West Palm Beach, FL
- Motorcycle Accident Attorney in West Palm Beach, FL
- Negligent Security Lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL
- Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers in West Palm Beach, FL
- Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL
- Premises Liability Attorney in West Palm Beach, FL
- Product Liability Attorney in West Palm Beach, FL
- Recreational Vehicle Accident Attorney in West Palm Beach, FL
- Sexual Assault Lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL
- Slip and Fall Lawyers in West Palm Beach, FL
- Spinal Cord Injury Attorney in West Palm Beach, FL
- Taxi Accident Lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL
- Train Accident Lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL
- Truck Accident Attorney in West Palm Beach, FL
- Uber Accident Lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL
- Worker’s Compensation Attorney in West Palm Beach, FL
- Workplace Accidents Lawyer in West Palm Beach, FL
- Wrongful Death Attorneys in West Palm Beach, FL