Slip and Fall Accidents
Falls are the third–leading cause of death among all age groups, claiming about 20,000 lives each year.Falls and Older Adults
- More than 30 older adults are killed in falls each day.
- Falls are the leading cause of death among those older than 65, accounting for more than 11,000 deaths each year.
- More than 1.8 million older adults are treated for fall injuries in emergency rooms each year.
- More than 420,000 are admitted to hospitals.
- One–third of all older adults suffer a fall each year.
Sources: National Safety Council; White House Conference on Aging.
Fall injuries can be very serious, particularly among South Florida’s older population. Businesses and other property owners have a duty to provide safe passage for customers and invited guests. When someone is seriously injured in a fall caused by unsafe conditions, a business or property owner can and should be held responsible.
At the Hollander Law Firm, we have successfully fought for the rights of clients injured in some of the nation’s largest retail outlets and superstores, as well as local restaurants, malls and other venues where an unsafe condition has led to the serious injury of a customer, client, visitor or guest.
Injuries commonly sustained in a fall include head trauma, hip and joint fractures, broken bones, spinal cord injuries and Traumatic Brain Injuries, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Fall injuries can also lead to emotional problems, particularly in older adults, that limit mobility, independence and physical fitness, and which can actually increase the chances of another fall injury.
South Florida fall injury claims should be handled by a law firm with the knowledge and experience capable of building a case that will include compensation for pain and suffering as well as possible future medical complications stemming from a fall injury.
- Remain active. Regular physical activity is one of the best ways to reduce fall injuries.
- Make home safer; install grab bars and hand bars, use non–stick mats and remove loose rugs.
- Ensure proper lighting at night.
- Review medications with healthcare provider.
- Have vision checked regularly.
- Wear appropriate shoes.
- Inadequate evacuation routes or exits.
- Fall injuries at work or on the job.
Source: Adapted from information provided by the National Safety Council; Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
The Hollander Law Firm handles personal injury and wrongful death claims resulting from a fall injury throughout South Florida, including Boca Raton, Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Naples and Fort Myers.
Examples of South Florida personal injury claims resulting from a fall injury include:
- Wet or slippery floors
- Cracked or uneven sidewalks or parking lots
- Dark parking lots or stairwells
- Loose or faulty handrails in stairwells or movie theatres
- Merchandise obstructing an isle
- Bunched rugs or carpeting
- Obstructed walkways or parking lots
If you or a loved one has been injured in a fall, contact the Hollander Law Firm today for a free and confidential appointment to discuss your rights. There are never any fees or costs associated with representing you unless we are successful in making a financial recovery on behalf of you and your family.